Wiring harness--'50 Commodore Eight

Here we go!  I've had the complete wiring harness from YnZ for close to 6 months.   Finally diving in after taking care of some "non Hudson" business.   Any tips?...k

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes,  When you are all done installing and have checked everything twice, but are afraid to energize the system with a battery for fear of melting wires and starting a fire, try this.  Hook your battery cables to a 6 volt lantern battery using some short leads with alligator clips.  This will allow you to test the lights without burning anything up.  The lights may be a little dim, turn signals will flash slowly, and the horn relay will click but not honk the horn.  I got this tip from YnZ when I did my 54 sedan.

Also, don't crimp any terminal ends onto the wires, use a good soldering gun to make the connection and take your time.  Remember to slide the rubber insulator sleeve onto the wire before you solder the terminal on, then slide it forward after the solder joint has cooled.  Once you get the first few circuits run it gets easier to understand the instructions. 

Hope this helps.

John Forkner

• Thanks, John.   Sounds like good advise.   I'll take it...k
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Bought mine for my '50 from Rhode Island wiring and it was spot on, even the Supermatic, with no extra work on soldering the connectors, already installed.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Crimping is fine if you have the correct tool.  Most tools just squash the sides together.  I have a tool that has a hollowed out anvil and a corresponding  rounded crimp which  leaves one side of the terminal  rounded and the bottom firmly compressed up into it.  Very neat, and  much easier than soldering. 
  • keithfullmeryahoocom
    keithfullmeryahoocom Expert Adviser
    edited February 2017
    Thank you, fellas.   I plan on soldering, learning the pains of bad connections on previous wiring jobs.  One trick I've learned is shutting off my cell phone. Or  maybe that just is applicable for me!?

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    RichardD said:

I have two of these , only need one. This pair has extenders on it , more leverage.
    Easily removed. $20 plus shipping if someone needs them.
    Send a PM
    Roy