1948 Rear axle question.

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1948 rear axle. I have looked at the Hudson manual and parts book and it seems that for these early axles there is no gasket between the shims and the brake back plate and also no gasket between the
axle casing and the brake backplate.
Is my understanding correct? Only the parts book seems to indicate there is a gasket
on the later (53 onwards) axles.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Thanks Ken, that really helps.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

So Ken, do you have a number for the modern metric seal?

• I have another couple of questions please. I will need to replace all the oil seals and I will need to replace  one of the wheel bearings (on the right side). The left side wheel bearing was fine. The thrust buttons and the thrust block look to be OK.  When it comes to setting the shaft end play with the shims, will I be able to refit the existing shims on the left side (the side with the old bearing) and then choose the appropriate shims to suit the new bearing on the right side. Or is it necessary to go back and forth from side to side adjusting both sides with shims to get the right end play? I guess my question is, will the shaft end play on one side affect the end play on the other side, or are they independant of one another ?
    The second question: what oil should be used in the 1948 axle. Referring to the Hudson  manual, in one place it recommends to use a multipurpose SAE 90 oil, and in another place it advises to use an EP90 Hypoid oil.  I am a little wary as I know EP additives can attack some metals.
    Thank you again for your help.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Only one side needs to be adjusted, the thrust block is floating.   Confusing isn't, some books say 90 weight and others EP90.  I use a multigrade 85W-140 in mine.                                                                  
  • Doctorvaux
    Doctorvaux Member
    edited February 2017
    Thank you again for the advice.
    I have just been trying to buy some Royal Purple straight 90, but it is only available in 5 gallon drums ! 
    Ken, are you using Royal Purple 75W90 or something else in your axle ? While on the subject of oil, what would you recommend in a 3speed manual with overdrive ?

Thank you again.