Battery Question

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
I have been told to never place a lead acid battery on a concrete floor as it will damage it or cause it to loose it's charge.The first time I heard that was in 1958 at the Aircraft mechanics school , Sheppard AFB Texas. I never heard an explanation of how that would happen. What say the experts?

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Batteries with tar sealed cases were subject to this warning.  The new cases and stopping of the use of tar made the warning moot.  I too heard these warnings while in USAF tech school- then it was Keesler AFB MS. 
  • SuperDave

What does tar have to do with it?  Maybe one of those old wives tales ? Like restricting the water flow to slow down the water flow through the radiator on old flat head Fords made them run cooler. When actually the restriction kept the water pump from cavitating.

By the way, I was an instructor in the A/C Radio school at Keesler back in 64-65. We didn't talk about no batteries ! LOL

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited February 2017
    I went through the USAF/ USA radio relay and Tropo Scatter mod school in 1965-66.  The battery block was part of the intro to truck mounted back to back relay systems.  Actually not a wives tail, the out gassing of the battery acid did effect the tar topped batteries and when placed on concrete the iron contained in the cured concrete caused the depletion of the battery. I taught basic electronics as well as airborne systems maintenance at Goodbuddy. 

See the comments of another here
    https://www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/equipment-products/ask-experts-batteries-concrete
  • SuperDave
    I left in Dec of 65 after eight years and two career fields. Been forgetting everything I learned ever since!