Electrical inquiry..

jjbubaboy
jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
So my electrical system is 6v positive ground.
What would be possible problems with switching the battery terms to make it negative ground?
Thanks!
Jeff

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What model are we talking about?   If you have a voltage regulator you will burn out the points if you change polarity.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Not meaning to be impertinent, but....for what purpose would you want to do this?
  • JJ,

What's the intended/supposed gain? Seems to me I recall that you have a 6V +earth alternator in your car......You'd have to throw that in my garbage can. There's more to changing polarity than just switching terminals. Besides, all of your lights would put out dark.

F

• jjbubaboy
    Oh yeah, Frank forgot about That little detail !
    And Jon, my intent was to cut down power drain by using led dash lights and tail lights, turn signals  etc but everything I have found is 6v negative ground...
    Thanks guys!
  • LEDs are polarity sensitive but can be wired accordingly. I have a pair of white LEDs in the Starter and Light buttons in our '47 that come on with the ignition switch. I'm pretty sure I've run across 6V pos. LED lighting "bulbs", but of course, don't recall where, off hand. Diodes don't like having electrons pushed through them backwards.....kinda like the way a cat feels when pulled through a knothole by its tail.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I thought if you reverse wired the  light bulbs they shone backwards?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thank Goodness it doesn't flush upwards!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    I bought LED third brake light for my 35 Terraplane with positive ground from.
    Very nice guy.  Talked to him a few times. He may have a source for LED bulbs that are positive ground. http://www.jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It is easy enough to just solder in a super-bright LED, or pair or three  of them to the lamp holder.  You need an 80 ohm resistor  and wire it in series with the  diode, and connect the  cathode of the diode(s) to ground (positive).  If using multiple diodes for brightness, just twist the ends together  and solder to the resistor.  The other end of the resistor goes to the feed wire and end of the diode to ground.
  • jjbubaboy
    Hey 35 Terraplane,
    I have the same third brake light as well. VERY happy with it, and he is a super helpful guy.
    Jeff
  • I have one of those in each of our 3 "drivers" and it certainly adds an element of perceived safety......probably a real one. I'm a fan in spite of some who characterize it as just an "in thing".

Frank

• The ultimate? 3rd taillight system>>

• 35 Terraplane
    Being my Terraplane is the basic G Special with one tail light I was always nervous others didn't see me in spite of using hand singles.  I don't think most these days know what hand singles are. Anyways, when I rewired my car I added the third brake light, well actually two, one for each rear window. I like to think I'm a little more visible.  Just took a few pics,  hard to see them from the outside as the cars in the barn for the winter here in upstate NY. 
  • I think there's only one hand signal people recognize any more. Although the good ol' hand signaling method is still legal here, I doubt that anyone knows what the hell I'm doing.

It's my opinion that the third brake light/signal is highly advisable, but I draw the line well before having a car that slams on the brakes for me. What happened to paying attention? I drive by the old saying that "driving is a full-time job".

Frank

• 35 Terraplane
    I guess I should learn to spell or turn off spell check.  I agree with you Frank.  Driving is a full time job. When my children were learning to drive I told them, don't forget your operating a lethal weapon.
  • Spelling: Not to worry. I read what you meant.

Would that make one of them the third brake light and the other the fourth?

F

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Since we are talking about third brake lights. Here is mine. In the trailer hitch receiver.
  • 35 Terraplane
    In my case the second and third brake light as I only have one stock brake/tail.  
  • Thanks for the correction. I'm guilty of making an assumption, even though you said that previously.

• jjbubaboy

1)I think there's only one hand signal people recognize any more. Although the good ol' hand signaling method is still legal here, I doubt that anyone knows what the hell I'm doing.

2)It's my opinion that the third brake light/signal is highly advisable, but I draw the line well before having a car that slams on the brakes for me. 3)What happened to paying attention? I drive by the old saying that "driving is a full-time job".

Frank

Thats 3 facts you got there!
    And from my daily observations, people need auto braking cuz they are too busy f@#**@ with their phones that are 'smarter' than they are!!

Just my rant....
    Jeff
  • Bingo.....we have a winner!
  • 35 Terraplane
    Oh, it goes back before cells phones. Been commuting on the NYS thruway for 44 years 80 miles a day. Used to see this knucklehead years ago with his newspaper open on the steering wheel on the way to work every morning. Of course doing 55 when everyone else was doing 75.  Where's a cop when you need one.  And Frank, the banter is half the fun of scanning all the posts.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    NYS Thruway...l always thought there was a school for driving idiots that released graduates on to that piece of concrete.  Then I moved to California where a 2 hour commute was part of everyday.  80+ mph with everything possible to see was seen.  The most often seen was the 20 something woman with her visors down putting on makeup with "both hands". After several encounters with her we realized she was steering with her knees!  The cell phone crap is beyond all aspects of safe operation.  Now in Texas I am amazed that we cannot get laws passed to make use of a cell phone illegal when driving!

• jjbubaboy
    It IS illegal in Washington state. Doesn't slow em down a bit! The phones should be made to activate the car brakes as soon as its touched in the car. That would be awesome!
  • 35 Terraplane
    So another reason I bought two of the LED brake lights.  Guy told me that I could add a directional switch, change the wiring and the lights could double as blinkers.  Haven't done it yet but I'm thinking about it.  Also thinking about adding relays for the headlights every time I read Jim Spencer's add in the WTN.
  • jjbubaboy
    Yes 35 they do work at blinkers. And relays on the headlights makes a huge difference.
    Both good worthwhile and safe upgrades.
  • There is a company in CT. That makes a 6 volt positive ground third brake light that can be mounted with tiny suction cups or stick on pads. I have one on the rear window of my 51.
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited February 2017

This is the module I used to make the lights strobe like they do on my {split} 3rd taillight as shone above in the Vimeo video. One for each side. Note these automatically go into a special sequence strobe then goes to a steady light after 15-20 seconds or so. BECAUSE it is illegal to have continuous-strobe red lights on the rear of a car.
    My system is 12V-neg grd but info says these work for 6 volts (not sure about polarity).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4J35HY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1