NOS Chrome

Can anyone out there tell me if Hudson sent out chrome pieces coated with something that now looks like old varnish ? I just found some front parking light housings from '51, I believe,the boxes where destroyed,but pieces that I thought where painted are cleaning up nicely with a lot of work. When done I will post some pictures and will sell.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited January 2017
    The chrome polish that Hudson sold was for use ...after the protective seal on the OEM chrome wore off.  In other words Yes on some of the chrome replacements were coated with a sealant. History has taught me this was not a universal practice as not all parts of the same type were coated.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    In the scope of this, I came across a headlight ring for a 54 that seems to have a clear coat that has peeled off in some places.  But wasn't sure how to tackle it if that is truly what it was.  Not easy to remove so I stopped trying afraid that wasn't what it truly was.
  • I soaked the pieces in paint thinner,then used 0000 steel wool and it is coming off with great difficulty,but they are coming out nice.Too bad they hadn't been taken better care of for the last 66 years,some very minor bubbles under chrome in spots,I'll post some pics tomorrow.
  • Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    Your owner manual packet had a folder describing how to care for the clear coat protective coating.  Yes, It was a Korean War thing to prolong the poor plating.
  • why wouldn't you use paint remover? Seems as if it would be less damaging? Then, if the chrome is thin, etc., perhaps spray on the latest tech in clear coating: Eastwood's? A lot of tech in 65 years.

• For one thing there are a lot more damaging chemicals in remover than thinner,all that did was loosen the clearcoat.For another,0000 steel wool is made for polishing chrome and other metals,will not scratch. I learned that 40 some years ago when trying to clean up the dash on my '57 Olds Holiday coupe that had more chrome inside than out.A lot less messy and when done,just get the air hose out and blow away the dust. I have used it on the last 80 something cars that I have owned with great results,a lot of which where show winners,you should try it sometime.
  • Sorry, I have nothing to try it on. But if it won't help, it shouldn't be used.