Radio

JFromm
JFromm Senior Contributor
After an unsuccessful search for a 6v positive ground FM converter I found a product called Redi- Rad. It is easy to install and it has a cord to connect to a mp3 player,i-pod, walkman or fm portable radio. I can now listen to real music instead of am talk radio. Set the dial on your radio to 10 and connect cord from device to external music source. Didn't check, but it probably has other devices for 12v. Cost is $99.00 plus $6.80 priority postage. As an added plus, it is made in America.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You didn't actually say it (but implied it): Redi-Rad is available in 6 volt (which, I assume, is what you bought).

Incidentally, I was once told that one could hook one of those old 1970's FM converters to one's 6-volt AM radio, and then power the converter with a 12-volt "inverter" or something like that.  I have no idea whether this works, but it would also be a cheap way of getting FM radio on one's old Hudson AM.  As I recall, the converters were rather small so could fit (for example) in one's glove box.  Or just discretely under the dash.  And once you hook it up (IF you could hook it up!) you'd already have the "radio" part of your conversion.  With the Redi-Rad, you need to find a radio (or other input device) once you hook it up.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Those old FM converters show up from time to time on ebay.  I used to have an Audiovox one that fit into my 8 track player and transmitted the sound through the 8 track heads.  Worked pretty well back in the day.  
  • dave11
    dave11 Expert Adviser

Jfromm,

For what it's worth if you are looking at a Redi-Rad be careful. I have two of them, the first unit would not work on my 52 Hornet OEM 6 volt positive grd radio. The supplier at Redi-Rad was most helpful, after trying all his suggestions he said I must have gotten a dud, so he sent me another unit free of charge. That one had the same issue, lots of static but no output. I even tried one of the units on a 48 Chrysler radio....same issue

Dave

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Several years back. the designer of Redi-Rad was a vendor at the HOT ROD ROUNDUP held in Austin Texas every spring.  I asked him if this product would be usable in a positive ground electrical system.  The answer was NO.  If you are operating a Hudson radio with the OEM (6Volts - positive ground) electrical system I suspect the comments I heard from the designer of Redi-Rad apply.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    I sympathize with John about the deterioration of the AM band and the lost of quality input for our Hudson radios.  I am LOVE the sound of a properly operating Hudson tube radio!   But as an alternative, may I suggest using a blue tooth capable device with your favorite music or possibly an Satellite based radio station and a external blue tooth speaker?   I have just such a means to add the my type of noise to my Hudson driving experience.  An iPhone and a speaker from Walmart, portable and works great all over Texas.   BTW... night time AM is still a hoot with your Hudson radio... I am still able to pull in the long distant rockabilly and brimstone preachers across the radio band.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    I have a Redi Rad that I used in my '50 C.   Actually two of them.  I had one of the first 6V pos. ground units.  It worked ok but picked up engine noise when tuned to the right frequency, but it did play my ipod.  I got some capacitors to fix the noise but the unit died.   What apparently happened was the way I hooked it up it was powered all the time.  It is supposed to turn off automatically without any input signal, but it apparently did not.  I have a second one now that they sent free of charge.  I have not hooked it up yet but will do so this spring.