Because 1 Hudson isn't enough

The addiction is real, folks. ;) Had a good deal drop in my lap, a 41 Commodore 8. She's been off the road since 2003, upon the passing of her former owner. (Ronald Kishpaugh of Skaneatales/Auburn NY). Anyone familiar with this specific car, or Mr Kishpaugh? I bought it from a local Va guy, customer of mine. He bought it along with a Packard as a package deal, and I guess always meant to get the Hudson in order and never did. 

So, the plan so far is this: drop the oil pans, clean sludge. Pull valve doors and fill the splash trays that way. Pull and inspect plugs wires etc, probably do a major tune. Inspect and probably overhaul the brake system, basically run an IRAN on it. Anything I am missing? Also, in looking at the Club Store, I see a 40 shop manual, and a 42-46 shop manual....but no 41. Alex Burr? 

Lastly, she has the big vacuum canister that I always thought was Drive Master, but no switches on dash for HDM. Is this just the auto clutch? Any "gurus" on that system?

Lastly, I think I am missing whatever the front of the hood attaches to. Anyone have any pics of the front with the grille off that would show what's supposed to be there? I'm pretty stoked about this, especially having made good progress on the 50. 
Best, 
Jase

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Jase,

John Pontius, the president of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club and his dad have at least a dozen 41 Hudsons and can probably answer some of your questions.  John is listed in the White Triangle News and the club roster.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited January 2017
    The fellow who was selling this, trailered it out to Doc's Apple Blossom Meet in Front Royal, a couple years ago.  It seemed pretty solid to me at the time.  John is your man, for 1941 information (and he might have some spare parts as well, to sell). 

Looks like it wouldn't take too much to get it running.  Paul O'Malley is over in Capon Bridge, WV, if you need any serious engine / drive train repairs.   If you're anywhere near Front Royal maybe you could bring it out to the meet again, this coming spring -- under its own power, this time! 
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017

The front of the hood should have a u-shaped tube attached at the edge both sides with arms reaching down to frame mounts bolted to 2 holes in the top of the frame both sides just ahead of the fenders.  The hood pivots forward on this by the way. 

Just happen to have mine apart here ready to do a valve job on the 40.  40, 41 and 42 is the same animal.  You probably don't need that vacuum can stuff.  There were 2 cans etc for automatic clutch and shift.

001.JPG 829.3K
  • Hi Jon, I'm in Woodstock, so just a stone's throw from FroRo. I do plan on being at Doc's, whether with the 50 Super6 or this 41... :)

Best
    Jase
  • I bought a Hornet from Ron Kishpaugh a number of years ago Very nice man. If I remember right he lived right on Lake Skaneatlales. Car needed a lot of frame work of work as it was salt rotted  BAD.
  • Jon, met tall Paul at theMtn Rds Xmas party.  Funny back story, my good friends family runs the C-P-D/Jeep dealer here in town. I have been mooching his lift to get the 50 Super running. One Saturday, had it hooked up to one of my wreckers in the parking lot while we were getting stuff situated to work on it. Came out, and one of my local body shop customers was looking at it with none other than Brett Weare! :) Small ol world.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yeah, Brett gets around!