Tach/Speedo progress - very slow, but steady...

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
Pretty proud of this B) ...  Just got some florescent gauge needle paint, really makes the needle pop out with just blue LEDS. Tach is the outer scale, speed will be the inner scale.

Comments

• Available where?
  • Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Glad to see you are making progress.
    Larry
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited January 2017

Wow, thanks for the site; has some unusual stuff. I should have run across it in the past but haven't.

• GrimGreaser
    edited February 2017
    Closer still...
  • Nice work. I'm curious to know how you are indicating fuel level. Cool idea on the tach/speedo combo.

What sort of guts does the clock use? I'm in the midst of a Quartz movement retro-fit for our Hornet with the idea of maintaining the original appearance. Adapting the hands is the worst part.

Frank

• GrimGreaser
    Frank,

I am using a couple small gauge steppers, one a clock movement and one a 315deg gauge movement ( they'll be another needle for fuel when complete).  The gauge movements are ones used in many models of GM vehicles (many kits available to fix GM clusters, search for "X27 stepper motors").  The clock is a model X10, from the same "family" of steppers (the tach/speedo use a X40, co-axial dual-motor model).  Not as easy to find though, but I was able to get a couple "samples".  I'm running a small Arduino micro controller to read the fuel signal and control the steppers and a Real Time Clock module to track the time.  Hands, faces, internals are all 3D printed parts.

Erik
  • Thanks for the info. You have obviously put a great deal of thought/research into the project. Makes my efforts look pretty crude but it should (hopefully) accomplish my goal.

Frank