1950 Commodore dash

Well i have been looking at dashboards lately for my project.

NZ being Right Hand drive makes it rather limited.

For the last hour or so as i work away here at work i have also been looking at Hudson dashboards. the 1950 Commodore dash looks pretty much the same as a 49 but shiny.
is this the case? is it the same dimensions/fit as my 49 just with chrome/stainless plate slapped on to it?
Also looks easy to convert to RHD.

Is it chrome?

And finally many about for sale? (who accepts either Paypal/visa or direct credit into there bank account)

Be cool to have a Hudson dash otherwise it will be god knows what as i want a dash with a bit more "bling" & the 49 is totally lacking in that area.

Thanks
Alex

Comments

• Alex, If you're talking about the 1950  dash base, then yes, it will interchange with the 48 & 49 dashes. The left & right glove box doors will interchange as well.Trim on the doors is different with the 1950 doors having cutouts for the fuel/ temp gauges and model name on the respective sides The difference is in the center where the dash gauges go. The 48-9 used round fuel and temp gauges while the 50 had a rectangular pod for same.  That means a center section of dash will not interchange. The 1950 was a stand alone. Also on the 1950 dash there is provision for an ashtray. Not so on the 48-9 dashes. Clock & speedo dash holes are the same 
  • hmm so the dimensions are the same.
    So i could take the whole dash out of the 49 - from window and firewall to front face. gauges and all.
    then swap in the 50 dash like pictured below - gauges and all.

Alex
  • Yep. you can. Problem is the aren't a huge number of complete 50 Commodore dashes around.  More 48-9 Commodore dashes than 50 dashes.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Looks good !
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Interesting. Every one I've seen were blue marble finish.

Were there options?
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Mine is blue marble, but actually most other '50s I have seen are brown?  I am not sure if this was an option or you got either blue or brown depending upon the interior color choice?  BTW I believe the Hudson term for these dashes was Velichrome.
  • Dan, Velchrome was also the term used for the flat silver on the rockers.