Cylinder head question.

Geoff
Geoff Senior Contributor
What year Hornets had the "H145" embossed on the cylinder heads, instead of 308.  My  '53 has  "Super Power Dome" and "Use premium fuel"  one it.   Is this just a standard head?
Geoff

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Geofff: the following is posted on my Hudson Restoration Website.

Hudson Engine Heads: provided DJ Kava 

The July, 1951 Hudson Service Merchandiser notes the following about 1951 heads: "Beginning with the 1st production, an aluminum head of 7.2:1 compression ratio was standard.  The marking on top of cylinder head was H-145 Super Power Dome-304632 (this is casting number).  The optional cylinder head was of cast iron, 6.7:1 ratio, with marking H-145 Power Dome-304630. 

Later, a cast iron cylinder head, 7.2: ratio, was used as standard-marking H-145 Super Power Dome-305923, and a metal tag with the imprint USE PREMIUM FUEL.  The present and final change for standard head 7.2: ratio is of a new casting with marking H-145 Super Power Dome Use Premium Fuel-305854." 

The metal tag head was simply standard equipment.

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • What did this "metal tag" look like?  Where was it located!
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

The head on my spare engine has the H-145 and Super Power dome on it plus the number 304632.  There is also a stamping in the head that has "LBR" and Alcoa on it.  after the 304632 is the letter A also molded in the metal. 

• The sheet-metal (Aluminium) plate was riveted to the head. Note that in the accompanying photo, the plate didn't come off of this particular head but is positioned in the same place.

Damn. I couldn't get the photo to upload. I'll throw it on the HET club forum.

Frank

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Here you go Frank. 
  • Thank you, J.

I know my alphabet now and can count to 100 without stopping to think (got that one down last week) but I still don't know how to use these computer gizmos.

Interesting......Dick and I were just talking about you and the '39 a few minutes ago. I had no idea that you had acquired it from him. Needless to say I got the whole long story about how he came to own it.......took about an hour. I told him how you stole my '39 engine from me. Still looking for a rebuildable core.

Frank