Under Hood Insulation

RL Chilton
RL Chilton Administrator, Member
What are folks using for under-hood insulation these days that is similar to original?

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Good question Russell !! What was original?  my 49 Commodore has undercoating and appears to be original because scratching it exposes the original paint. The undercoating was obviously by a dealer, not factory.  My 49 Super has nothing but paint and doesn't appear to have been altered. I guess the question is. Did Hudson supply any sound deadener? There was some material under the stiffener (rear cross member), I suppose to prevent squeaking?
  • just spray some lizard skin. 
    its great stuff i have used before.
  • I have foil and 'fiberglas' insulation, 1/4" thick; but that was to cover up old torn stuff. I would suggest NO insulation because the heat needs to escape the hot engine compartment. Assuming the finish looks good for show.
    Photo below is work in process.

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I don't think there was any, originally.
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Mine has the remnant of fiberglass insulation 52 late model hornet 
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    My 54 had ratty insulation on it when I purchased it.  I replaced it with this after the repaint.

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Beginning in 1952 Hornets & Commodore 8's had a fiberglass pad glued to the under hood area approximately the size of the picture above.  It was placed there we were told to cut down on engine noise more than for an insullation.
  • honest if they did come out with nothing just some undersealer.
    then spray on lizard skin. either the sound deading or ceramic heat (or both)
    its great stuff and i have found works better than any foil based product. Its black and easy to use. 
    http://www.lizardskin.com/
    can be painted and made gloss if you really want as well.

Also looks way better than some eye sore insulation pad.
  • If you don't mind a foil look. Eastwood has a underhood/headliner product for $40.00 that works well for that. It's in their Xmat line.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    21stcenturyhudson.com
  • RL Chilton
    Jerry probably remembers, bur we had this discussion about 10 years ago on this forum and the consensus was the same, started sometime in '52. I've seen plenty of cars that have originals.
    Walt always cautioned against it as it tends to hold heat in. With today's gas, that's an important point to consider.
    However, after the fire, the inside of the hood is not attractive as it once was (even though it was repainted) and I was considering putting the insulation in to hide a few sins.
    I've decided to sell Scarlett and there's a few small things like that that need attention.
    Russ, the originals I've seen weren't yellow like the one you sell on your website.  I'm not sure I could put yellow insulation on this car.  I'd rather have the black/dark gray that I've seen on originals.  
    Foil and Lizardskin obviously was not originally used.
    From the other forum, Wildrick Restorations might soon be selling something that is akin to the original.  I might wait to see what they come up with, if it's fairly soon.  I've got some other tasks that need attention in the meantime.   
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Selling the ol girl after all that work and time?  Good luck with the forth coming sale.  Is there going to be another project?
  • RL Chilton
    I'd like to restore some motorcycles.  Looking to get an Indian or two.  
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    I'm going to sell mine too, Russ.  Just have lost the urge to maintain a vintage auto.  Will continue to enjoy the club, sans Hudson.