Transmission drain plug

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
I'm having a real hard time unloosening the drain plug on my overdrive transmission.  I've sprayed it PB Blaster and when that didn't work, used an acetylene torch to heat it, but to no avail.  The main problem is getting a good grip on the small square extrusion that serves a handle for the plug.  It keeps rounding off when I use a wrench that is closest to its size and a pipe wrench and vice grips kept chewing it up.

Comments

• drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    Got any KROIL a lotta people like it say works when nothing else will, I broke off number 6 spark plug left the threads in it iam soaking it the best I can it will be a good test .
  • If the pipe threads were tight (i.e., sealing) enough to prevent oil from leaking out, then Kriol, PB Blaster or whatever, won't get in. Weld a  nut onto the rounded-off plug and use a box wrench to remove it. Not only does it give you a reliable hex to get ahold of, but the heat will loosen it up as well.

I've removed many an"impossible" plug this way as well as many broken-off studs/bolts.

F

• I've had the best luck using 8 point sockets on those square pipe plugs.