Craftsman tools purchased by stanley black and decker

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
edited January 2017 in HUDSON
http://www.realtoolreviews.com/advice-to-stanley-black-decker-what-to-do-about-craftsman/

Craftsman has long been the poster child of a good brand gone wrong.  Other than name recognition, the quality aspect has eroded fully.  Those who were once self-described “brand loyalists” to the Craftsman line now hate it — and only talk about the tools in good terms when describing the memories from years long past.

Rather than stick with the American worker, Sears sold out completely and went full China on us.  With very few exceptions, if it didn’t cross the Pacific on a freighter — the shelves would be empty.

Unfortunately for Sears, especially these days, is the resurgence of American pride & the desire to see your neighbor employed VS saving $0.05 on the cost of your new pliers.  Don’t believe me?  Ask yourself why so many huge companies are now trying to label as much as they can “Made in USA with global materials” / “Made in USA with foreign components” / Built in USA / Assembled in USA — they are trying to capitalize on the American pride & the American wallets.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017
    A few of years ago I was at Sears and they had their professional box end wrenches on sale.  These are the nice looking polished ones.  I had a couple I had bought separately years before and with the sale I thought I would complete the set.  I got them home took them out of the box and started to put them in the toolbox.  Then I noticed that there was something different about them, they did not have quite the same sharp lettering and just did not quite look the same, and the give away was - NO Made in the USA!  I got the package out of the trash and looked for the made in location and sure enough it was China.  I was not happy!  Sears once made some of the best all around tools, even their wood working stuff was top notch and it is now just junk.  Some of the odds and ends are still make in the US but not like it once was.  Black and Decker are touting that they will be building a new $35Mil. factory in the US and I am hopeful Craftsman tools will once again be built there. BTW once upon a time Black and Decker was a contract mfg for Craftsman power tools!
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    I suspect there are quite a few people who like quality tools and are happy to pay more for them, and the USA-made ones certainly had the best reputation here in NZ. I still use the same Vice Grips I have had for 40 years and they work like new after untold use. My most useful tool by far......and no other brand of this tool works anywhere near as well.
  • 35 Terraplane
    35 Terraplane Senior Contributor
    This past summer the 1/4" driver from my 48 year old MAC set finally gave out.  MAC showed a 1/4" driver for sale online but only when you purchased it along with the 3/8" & 1/2" drivers in a set.  I emailed MAC and asked if I could purchase just the 1/4" driver along with the attached picture and told them my 3/8" & 1/2" where fine, just needed the 1/4".  They replied and asked me to send the 1/4" back so they could look it over.  About a month later a brand new 1/4" driver arrived with a note saying they couldn't repair my original one so here's a replacement.  Talk about service and standing behind your product.
    I've purchased and have many Craftsman tools as well but noticed a few years ago that made in china was now appearing on the packaging of some of them.  Must be the pressure of doing business.  We Americans want what we want and we want it cheap. I always look for Made in the USA on anything I buy, which is more and more difficult. Ya I pay more but I look at it as supporting the American way of life.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Tom
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Speaking of those Vice Grips, I started looking at the flea market several years ago just to keep on the lookout for the older American made ones, much better than what you get off the shelf today. Grip and work better. I've found and bought several of the old ones that are still in good shape. Started pitching out my newer ones.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser
    I bet Harbor Freight took a lot of business away from Sears. 
  • drivergo2
    drivergo2 Expert Adviser
    When i was young a few years ago i bought a set of Husky Tools with the box, I think it was from fingerhut? I still have them, I broke one of my sockets last year, went to home depot got a replacement . Made In China I think ill start looking at garage sales and pawn shops .