brake drum removal

Hi to everybody,
i´m having problems to remove the rear brake drums on my 1952 Hudson Hornet. Never had problems to remove brake drums on other cars..... thought i better ask here before i damage something. Is there a trick?
Thanks, Marco

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Are you using the correct puller? 
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/index.html  Go to this website, on the left side select "brakes". On that page select  Stepdown brake drum removal and you will find a pictorial description of how to remove rear drums.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Oops, looks like this nut has taken the axle nut all the way off.  Bad plan, as when this thing breaks loose, it'll take off across the garage, maybe you with it.  Just loosen it 1/4 inch or so until it breaks loose.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    And damage the thread in the process.
  • ...ordered a puller two days ago. Was an easy job. Thank you guys!image
  • ...new brake linings in it....and it looks really clean. Brake drums look like new. Thank you Kenneth for offering me sending a puller. Never needed a puller for the brake drums on my other cars....Thanks
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    ....that is because your other cars probably didn't have tapered bearings!
  • IvarSweden
    IvarSweden Senior Contributor
    Wow, that puller looks nice foxsnout, where did you get it?
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    As well as the Hudson built rear ends
    I think all of the early dana rear ends (used in many makes) had tapered axles. I've read that Hudson used up the supply on hand ofHudson built rearends before switching to the Dana 44 in 1952.  The studebaker guys are able to buy a flanged axle replacement. The Hudson dana axles/bearings are different so the stude kit won't work in the Hudson application.

• That "T" increases the price by a factor of 6 or more.

F

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It also indicates that it is made of unobTanium.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    On my pickup, The outer races looked a little rough, but the rollers looked OK, so I bought new ones which are cheap.  I figgered that if I was a bearing, I'd rather have new outer races to run in than what I had.
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017