Starter interchange info needed

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
I have an Autolite MAP-4075 (fits 1937 H & T) with a Bendix drive that usually doesn't engage the flywheel.  Despite having a rebuilt Bendix, it merely free-spins.  I'm tired of making unsuccessful attempts to determine the problem, so....

Can anyone tell me if other years of Hudson starters interchange with this?  I'd like to find a "working" used starter and will probably have more luck finding one if newer Hudson starters can be substituted.  Step-Down starters look similar but of course there may be differences.

Much obliged for any enlightenment that someone can toss my way!

Comments

• John, I have several that will likely work. Two are NOS (no they're dirty and grimy lol) and one that is a used model for a Hudson 8 -   MAB 4100. The Hollander book claims that  MAB 4075, 4061 and 4100 will all interchange.  Stepdowns poossibly may work but the spring is of a different configuration. That model you have ended in 1947.  If you want to call my number is seven zero four 792 9110.   
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Two or three were chipped (and this may be why, last year, my starter was actually jamming in the gears).  I dressed them with a file and the problem seemed to end.  However, now, the Bendix gear does not even engage the flywheel, it just whirrs.  Then, if I rotate it on the shaft by hand, then hit the starter, it engages the flywheel and starts the car.

When it free-spins it vibrates quite a lot, which makes me wonder if the shaft might have become bent, back when it was jamming.  Possibly a bent shaft would prevent the Bendix from sliding forward and engaging the flywheel gears.
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    With 6V clean and bright connections are reqd, including inside the starter. I was told many years ago of a few tricks that would improve the connections which would improve the starting. I think it was drilling out the rivets if they were dirty and corroded. Probably not Jon's problem, but I thought it may prompt other useful comments. Good luck Jon.
  • where can I buy a replacement starter for my '54?

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just to update a bit, I took the starter out to a shop run by a fellow I know, and he tore it apart looking for the problems.  First, one of the bushings is shot which is why the armature shaft vibrates so badly.  And the starter drive does not seem to slide on the shaft as it should (possibly caused by the vibration).  Anyway, we'll see what happens when he gets it all back together.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Just a note, Step-down and Jet starters will not fit the earlier motors, there is a difference in  spacing of the rear collar on the starter body which would contact the flywheel.   1934-45 Terraplane starters have  a different number of teeth on the pinion and flywheel than later models so these will not interchange with others, but you can swap any other '36-47 6 & 8 cyl. starters.  
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    I'm pretty sure the eight cylinder starter uses different field coils for more power , but they do mount up and work on either 6 or 8