'53 HH at Barrett-Jackson

Comments

• Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    Ken--I like your red and white Coupe more!!
    I Just don't get the "tribute" thing.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited December 2016

About fifteen years ago I built my first Hudson.  I wanted a Hudson and I wanted to run it on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  I also wanted a tour car and partial daily driver.  I did several of the famous Hudson racing signs hand painted on the car including a tribute to my dad.  I did run it on the Salt Flats and had a blast with the car.  It was fun to take to a car show because Doc Hudson was in his prime (the movie). Kids, more than adults loved the car and because of the "beyond 7 X engine" it drew a good showing at car shows and Hudson meets.  Never took it to a "judged" show because it was a long way from perfect; but, with that said it was more fun than I often had at a car show.  I have a former "drag race" car now and I guess you could call it a tribute.  But it is more of a tribute to a broke college "run what you brung" era.  Not sure if tribute means any more than simply having a Hudson.  Not many Hudson's show up to car shows where I live.

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    In the Vehicle Description the car is listed as "part of the Gordon Apker Collection." Gordon died in February.  He had an incredible collections of cars that was ever changing, sources say that the remaining cars will be auctioned at Barrett Jackson next month in Scottsdale.
  • I bought a '50 Commodore a year ago this month and, after spending a bunch of money on the drivetrain, I decided to do a "tribute" car until I replenished my budget for interior/exterior work.  The car had great patina and it even had rub marks over the wheels so the racing motif was a natural fit.  I modeled it after Tim Flock's car and added my own personal touches to make it mine. In September the car became an actual race vehicle as I was able to race it in the inaugural Coatesville Grand Prix in PA.  It was a ton of fun and I was the unofficial fan favorite even though the rest of the field was littered with early European sports cars.   
  • Looks like you really needed the HD anti-sway bar.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for sharing...50! A great thing about being a old car owner is: ...your car to do with as desired... having fun is the best part always.  
  • Yes Richard, that sway bar bar made a HUGE difference!  I highly recommend the upgrade for others to consider. I believe Kerry has been in contact with the manufacturer and a new shipment should be on its way to Dale Cooper shortly.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    That color just doesn't do it for me. Especially for a coupe. I bet it affects the selling price.
  • 50ClubCoupe, do you live near Coatesville?  I'm right in Montgomery County...
  • 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited January 2017
    50ClubCoupe, do you live near Coatesville?  I'm right in Montgomery County...
    I lived in Downingtown for 12 years but I'm now in Mooresville, NC.  The race in September was a great way for me to get back to Chester County for some vintage car fun as well as to see some family.  I plan to do the same again this September.

I also lived in East Norriton for a couple of years prior to moving to Downingtown in 2002.  
  • I lived in East Norriton for the first 25 years or so of my life!  Now I'm in Harleysville, which isn't too far.

That Grand Prix looks interesting.  I'll have to check it out.  I don't think I'd be down for racing, though... LOL...
  • Small world!  Yes, check out the Grand Prix, there are some great videos online from Coatesville residents and other spectators plus there should be a 5 minute race-sponsored video coming out in the next few months.  The race will also be featured in the February issue of Hemmings Motor News.  There will be an article on the 2016 race and at least one of the pictures includes a shot of the Hudson chasing down my friend in a Model A speedster. Make sure you save the date for 2017 even if you aren't racing.  A couple of us are trying to extend the weekend a little to include some meet-ups before and after the race. 
  • Just curious - the Gran Prix says it is "invitational."  How does one acquire an invitation?
  • Just curious - the Gran Prix says it is "invitational."  How does one acquire an invitation?
    You just send in your application and the committee makes the selections.  Last year was the first year and it was a decent turnout but I think this year will be much larger and they may be a little more selective.  I'm hoping to get accepted but I'll be there with the car regardless. I'm hoping it turns into a Race of Gentlemen type event where it becomes a whole weekend of cars and camaraderie. It would be really great for the city if more people stayed and supported the stores/shops....they need it.
  • iceblade10
    iceblade10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well, if it's a Race of Gentlemen, they definitely wouldn't let ME in...  ;)
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2017

Here is the 'BJ' listing.  It doesn't mention anything about being a 'tribute', however it does not say it is the original race car either - There are at least two Hudson autos on the docket.  This one is listed on Friday's docket -

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-HUDSON-HORNET--202263

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2017

Here is the other Hudson on the docket, also a '53 coupe.  It is on Thursday's docket -

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-HUDSON-HORNET-CLUB-COUPE-203298

• I have many items for 48 thru 53 Hudsons where and how do I list?

d_online@airbaud.net     Wallyh.1226

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    Waldo said:

I have many items for 48 thru 53 Hudsons where and how do I list?

d_online@airbaud.net     Wallyh.1226

If you are referring to Barrett-Jackson (the subject of this thread), you'll need to contact them directly;

If you are referring to this forum, then it is here -

http://openforum.hetclub.org/categories/vehicle-parts-for-sale-or-wanted

It is actually pretty simple - look at the categories on your upper left, you should be able to determine where the sales area(s) are.

Don't forget to read this -

http://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/165458/classifieds-guidelines-rules#latest

• Yesterday the 53´ Hornet tibute car was sold in Scottsdale. I saw it on the live stream...it was sold for 30k. When you look at the auction results they stated its sold for 33k ??? Are there then any additional fees? Anyway...the car looked flawless to me...and i love those nascar tribute cars. The price seems pretty fair to me. I thought the selling price would be much more. What do you think?
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited January 2017
    Both sold @ $33,000 (including buyer's commission).  I liked the 'non-tribute' coupe better...
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    There is almost always a 10 to 15% buyer's commission on these sales.
  • ...the green tribute car is a dream to me...even if i would prefer the 52´. Ken, do you think it was hand lettered or only decals?
  • personally im more interested in that 1970 Buick GSX stage 1 up for auction. 
    Im wanting to make a GSX tribute but stage 3 as my next project after the hudson. Always wanted a hemi killer. Im starting to miss not having muscle cars anymore ><
     Or a 40's/50's cab over hauler.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    I would counter that build with a stage 2 hemi, then I'd have a GSX stomping machine! :)

• cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    edited January 2017
    I may be a bit biased but I think a Hudson and a GSX look pretty good together.
  • ohh damn.  /jealous
    That numbers matching? 1 of the 118 made?

Im looking at a tribute using the similar Electra then TA performance aluminum 445. they do stage 1 -4 so what ever i can get to fit under the hood & be street legal.
    Motor will cost a stupid price but will be brutal.

god i like that pic.  /saved
  • cpr3333
    cpr3333 Expert Adviser
    Don't get too jealous -  it's a fake, but it's a pretty good fake.  It's a real Stage 1 GS but it started life green with a vinyl top.  It had a lot of the GSX package features (black bucket interior and rally ride suspension were the big ones) so the guy I bought it from added the spoilers, the hood tach and the paint scheme.

He had it for sale fairly close by and I made the mistake of going to look at it...

Here's a shot of the rest of it:
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Showoff! LOL

This discussion has been closed.