What can be done with a straight 8

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
Some threads back the Buick 8 was discussed for a Hudson engine transplant, well there no reason a H8 could not be worked up.  Don't know if it could hit 16X mph though, but it would be a hoot!

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/10/07/bombshell-betty-the-165-mph-1952-buick-super-riviera/

Comments

• 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Ken what is the max for boring on the eight without running into overheating?

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited December 2016
    From what I have read due to the cylinder arrangement 0.040" is the max over bore on a H8.

Here is an old writeup from Hot Rod mag from 3/1950 on hopping up a H8:

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor

Two items not discussed:

1. Flattening the contour of the "cam face" of the tappets slightly, which increases the open duration.  Makes a noticeable difference.  Al Saffrahn and a few others know how to do this.

2. A dual exhaust manifold.  While Hudson did increase the exhaust flow path for '37, further power can be gained with a dual-outlet modified manifold.

• jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    Wow Park! That's a very cool manifold. Sure would love to have my 6 cylinder one done like that! 
    Jeff 
  • 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited January 2017
    looks like the email address mentioned in the first link (above) is no longer valid.  Does anyone have another source for splitting the exhaust manifold?
  • Park_W
    edited January 2017

I'll try to find the name of the fellow in, I think, Kansas(?) who did mine.  Back in about year 2009 this father-son duo were doing some good work on in-line engine manifolds, and there were a few photos and comments here on the Forum.  My first one was in 1953, on my '38 8-Cyl sedan.  In our senior year of HS a buddy did it for me in his welding class.  Don Bright, Ft. Wayne's version of Smokey Yunick, who ran 2 '38 Hudsons at our 5/8 mi. hi-banked track, had built an 8-cyl engine for me.  When the engine was ready, I put the split manifold on it before installing it in my sedan.  I didn't realize how much the manifold was contributing until I had an occasion to swap it with a stock manifold temporarily.  I was shocked at the difference in Performance.  BTW, this 3,300 lb. sedan, at the big drag strip near Chicago, ran the quarter in 17 seconds and 84 mph, which was pretty respectable in those days  . . .  almost none of the new Olds 88s would match it.

• what can be done with a straight eight?

They make fine anchors.
    I had a tree that was on a hek of an angle after a storm. Right over a fence. Connected a chain to the engine then through neighboring trees branches and winched tree to straightish angle then attached.
    Worked a charm. bloody heavy lumps those inlines.
    Was a big ol Buick not a Hudson (thats currently waiting for me to get around to selling it and stored away )
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    edited January 2017
    looks like the email address mentioned in the first link (above) is no longer valid.  Does anyone have another source for splitting the exhaust manifold?
    There was a phone number there too at the bottom of the first link. It appears that you can cut a hole with a hole saw in the manifold then weld on a cast-iron outlet. Doesn't seem that hard to do.

I do know that Ivan recommends running a bigger 2.5" exhaust and says you can feel it in the seat of your pants compared to a 2" pipe. He said that it is important to follow through right through the whole exhaust system not just upgrade the manifold. That would indicate to me this approaches at least a 10% improvement as it is hard for the average person to reliably detect less than that from what I have read.

I note that Park's car on a weight shifted basis at 84 mph indicates 155hp at the flywheel. I assume the 3300lbs included the driver etc.
  • Ivan must be biting his tongue pretty hard by now.

Frank

• Park_W
    The 3,300 lbs. came from the scales at the drag strip  (I wasn't in it when they did the weighing).  Also put it on a truck scale back home, and that confirmed the 3,300 figure.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    Park_W said:
    The 3,300 lbs. came from the scales at the drag strip  (I wasn't in it when they did the weighing).  Also put it on a truck scale back home, and that confirmed the 3,300 figure.
    That would mean the gross weight with say a 150-170 lb. driver would be 3,450-3,470lbs, meaning around 160fwhp using the ET terminal speed and weight calculator.
  • hmm with the numbers you lot are talking at the expense im not sure it would be worth it. better to swap in a LS or something.

http://www.uncommonengineering.com/ 
    would be the place i would start if i was serious about modding an old Hudson Inline. they strap supercharges etc to them.
    Personally i think the standard Crudson engine looks better than one with a blower or fuel injection strapped to it but hey if you really want to keep the old anchor and want the most from it i guess you aint got much options.
    the builds start at $7k  and thats the mild build with no blower etc. Im guessing full build be like 10-15K. Not sure if they do NOS or not. 

Some copy / paste spam the topic skills to follow:

7X+  308 Hornet Engine Exchange or Outright  

These exclusive rebuilt engines include modern oversized Manley Stainless Steel 1.647 oversize dia. ex valves, huge 2.00" SS INT valves, hard exhaust seats installed for unleaded fuel, new valve guides, special modern large diameter valve springs and retainers, ARP 190,00 PSI connecting rod bolts, three ring  Forged Pistons with tool steel pins, Cloyes True Roller Timing set,  7X+ exclusive grind special performance cam of your choice (cams ground for automatic or manual transmission usage, smooth or lopey idle), block / head changed over for 1/2" Gr8 head bolts and Gr 8 washers, and includes the new wide and shallow high compression / high turbulence relief developed exclusively for this application! 

Ports are cleaned up on the short side radius and gasket matched, and each relief is hand finished just like the originals.  Additionally, each block is thoroughly cleaned, blasted, bored, CK-10 honed, and decked. Cranks are checked for cracks and main and rods journals ground and radiused for additional strength. Heads are resurfaced, or exchanged* depending on desired compression ratio, subject to availability and condition of core.  New main and connecting rod bearings. 

Stroker cranks  (extra cost) available for displacements up to a whopping 362 tire churning cubic inches!   

Don't waste money rebuilding your cherished Hudson engine with components that won't stand up to unleaded fuel or high performance driving.  55 year old connecting rod bolts, Morse timing chains / sprockets, weak and surge prone valve springs, stamped retainers, cast pistons, undersized head fasteners, and lack of hard seats are notorious problem areas!  Eliminate them all during your rebuild!  Your investment is appreciating, treat it to the finest rebuilt engine available for Hudson's today!

*Aftermarket connecting rods, stroker cranks, exchange heads, align honing, CUSTOM billet cams & oversized hard chromed tappets, dry decking, and other special vintage racing mods are available at extra cost.

Offered Exchange or outright, (exchange must supply rebuildable core, block, crank, head, cam, and connecting rods, unservicable parts subject to minor addl. core charges)

Reaming Hudson Rod for ARP 190,000 psi Rod Bolts

The 7X+ 308 Hornet  (starts at)  $7000     

One-Of-A-Kind 4-71 Blown Hudson Hornet 308, Uncommon Engineering Custom Fabbed Intake & Blower Base, Carb Plenum, Drive, Electronic Dist, Forged Pistons, ARP Bolts

Hudson 7X Uncommon Engineering Style (above & below) Sports "One-Off" Three Duece Tripower, Uncommon fabricated Headers, Uncommon Converted MSD Ignition, Modded ATI Balancer, Along with all the usual goodies, hard ex seats, Manley Stainless Hi-Flo's, Forged Pistons, ARP rod bolts & head studs, Crane springs & retainers, Mopar lifters, Trick Street Grind Cam, degreed Tru-Roller Timing Set, 100 AMP alternator, Topped Off by a one-of-a-kind "Factory" lookUncommonly fabricated air cleaner setup.  

Accel Generation 7.0 Digital Fuel Injection Adapted For Vintage Hudson Hornet Supercharged Road Racing Engine  Wild Blown Hudson Goes Road Racing 
    Hudson's NASCAR  Engine,  Brought up to dateUncommon Engineers the Most Sophisticated Vintage Racing Engines Available Today.  Affordably.\9X Eaton Blower, Intake Log, Headers, Carb Plenum9X Final Assembly, Wiseco Pistons, Manley Valves, Special Moldex 7 Main Bearing Crank, Oliver RodsRear/Top View Uncommon Headers & Log ManifoldFabricating Eaton Series II Blower Plenum, Flanges, and Log Manifold  Modified Series II Eaton Supercharger, Dry Sump Pump w/ Dist, Custom Built Crank Trigger Assembly, and Exchangeable Ratio Blower Drive GearsTop View of Block Shows Porting, Relieving, Dry Decking, Hard Seats   Three Billet Steel Main Bearing Webs Added to 4 Main Bearing Block CHECK OUT THREE ADDITIONAL FABRICATED MAIN WEBS, OVERSIZED CAM BEARING BORES , 4130 CROSSBOLTED CAPS, & HUGE BILLET CAM AND CRANK FOR UNIQUE SEVEN MAIN BEARING BLOWN HUDSON HORNET 9X ABOVE !!   VINTAGE RACE CAR CONSTRUCTION        PAN-AM RACE HUDSON SHOWCASES VINTAGE NASCAR SUSPENSION UPGRADED TO FULL FLOATER 9", NASCAR 4 WHL DISC BRAKES, CUSTOM KONI SHOCKS, 1.250 FRT ANTI-ROLL BAR, 4130 REAR PANHARD, REINFORCED WISHBONES, 32 GALLON FUEL CELL
    Hudson engines,  Mild (above), to Wild, (below)357 CUBE HUDSON 308 7X+ Maximum Stroker   THE ULTIMATE  HUDSON  "STREET"  ENGINE.090 OVER  FORGED PISTONSUNCOMMON BALANCED STROKER CRANKHARD EXHAUST SEATSMANLEY CUSTOM OVERSIZE STAINLESS VALVESTRUE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN W/ DEGREE BUSHCRANE BIG DIAMETER VALVE SPRINGSUNCOMMON MACHINED RETAINERSPORTEDRELIEVEDARP ROD BOLTS1/2" HEAD BOLTSSPECIAL MACHINED HEAD FOR VALVE CLRISKY CAMBIG MUSHROOM TAPPETSALUM / BRONZE GUIDESALIGN BORED AND DECKEDSPECIAL OIL PUMP GEARTHE HUDSON 8X  328  RETRO FUELIE  ENGINE

• 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    Do any of you know why Hudson listed #5 bearing#157987 as 1939-40 only and then changed the number to #162541 for 1941-50?
    Info found in master parts book
    Are std mains still out there for the 41-52 254? I have seen many for the 262 out there.
    Looking for #157984thru157986
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.