1951 Commodore grille emblem

On my Commodore the grille emblem base is made out of lead. Is this normal? I  bought a used one online same part number inside and its a solid metal, why are they different? 

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Korean War material restrictions
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Greetings, Cablackone, and welcome to the Hudson Open Forum!  Please feel free to ask more questions and to post photos of your car, if you like.  (See "Forums -- Instructions and Tips" in the left-hand menu, for help in posting photos.)

I don't know if you're a member of the H-E-T Club, but if not you might want to consider joining, as it's a valuable clearinghouse of information for Hudson parts and information.  The main website is at http://www.hetclub.org/

Full web membership (with all privileges) is open to all paid-up Club members.  If not a member, you can join for free but with only partial use of the website benefits.

The Club sponsors the Hudson Open Forum as well as a separate forum for members only, at the website.
  • They came both ways as Oldfarmer1947 said.    The hassle is getting a plater to rechrome a lead part. Many won't do it.Replating temps come close to the melting point of lead. Normally the plating just flakes off a lead part.Rarely any pitting. Diecast (zinc) parts pit, but are more readily replateable.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited December 2016
    As Lance said, no pitting on lead parts.  When you plate them, it's the most beautiful chrome you've ever seen, so smooth and perfect.  Trouble is, it doesn't last very long before it starts coming off.  Lead parts are best hanging on the wall, not on a car.  
    Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.  
  • My lead emblem is no good the nuts were left loose and the top studs pulled out and cracked the lead.
  • fishing weights.
This discussion has been closed.