'37 Deluxe 8 to Buick 263 Motor Swap

My '37 didn't come with a drive train so I'm looking for options.  Some folks have come forward with some OEM straight 8's in various conditions and prices but, since the original motor is long gone, I'm starting to feel less of a need to install a big old Hudson flathead with poured bearings.  This car will be a driver, and a bit of a traditional hot-rod build so I'm looking at options.  Currently I've come across a few Buick straight 8 fireball motors and they seem to fit the look I'm after.  They are slightly more cubes, OHV and insert bearings.....which are three big wins in my book.  I'm trying to track down some measurements for both the Hudson and Buick motors but wondering if someone might have already done a similar swap. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, and I don't intend to butcher this car so please don't mistake me for a rat-rodder.  I plan to lower the front end and have a warmed-up motor, no chopping, channeling or otherwise "creative" body work to be performed.  All of my mods will be easily reversible for the next caretaker after I'm through with it.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited December 2016
    I have a '40 Buick 90L with a 1952 I8 320 cu in.  I would not bother with the smaller displacement 263 cu in.  and go right for the 320, the physical dimensions are the same, and the weight difference is minimal (only a few pounds) but the power is about 40HP more.  Keep in mind the Hudson 8 (254 cu in) and the smaller Buick 8 had almost the same HP!  However that being said you are correct the Buick 8 is a really great engine.  In my opinion it is probably one of the best GM ever produced and it is also pretty much bullet proof.  You can get compound action dual carbs that were available in '41 if you look hard enough.  These made the Buick 8 the most powerful that year, but Cadillac's complaints and the war put an end to this early "twin H" type setup.  

My engine was pulled out of a '52 Roadmaster.  '52 was the end of the line for the large Buick I8, with only the smaller engine to carry on for one more year before the Buick nailhead V8s was available across the entire line.  For the swan song however, Buick gave the I8 an optional 4bbl carb (which I have on mine) for a few more ponies.  The only down side to the Buick I8 is that it is heavy!  The machine shop that did my rebuild needed to borrow a diesel engine stand.  There were a lot of straight 8s around, Hudson, Buick, Mopar, Pontiac, Packard, Studebaker, etc. but the Buick was right at the top.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Hudson '50 C8 and it is one quiet, smooth and powerful engine but the Buick has cu in and OHV, and pressurized oiling on its side.  Note that GM did not offer 3spd w/ OD on these only 3 spd and later Dynoflo automatics.

Here is a site I am a member of that may benefit your search.  There are a bunch of Buick 8 nuts out there that build all our race engines, w/ headers, multicarbs (I have seen one with 8 one barrels) and everything in between.  https://www.teambuick.com/reference/buick_8_engine_specs.php?r=buick_8_engine_specs.html

• Wow, thanks so much for the validation Dan! Your thoughts are right in line with what I'm thinking.  I have a note out to a gentlemen selling a '52 I8 to see if it's the 263 or the 320, he didn't know off hand. I've heard good things about both displacements and it seems they both have some options and fortitude for speed equipment.  My plan for this for this car to be slightly lower but otherwise stock looking, with a surprise under the hood.  

A fellow member was able to get the measurements of his Hudson I8 from the front of the fan blade back to the bell housing so that I can compare to the Buick motor.  Since you have the 320 Buick would you be willing to take the same measurement so that I can see if this motor (or the 263) will fit in the '37 engine bay without needing to hack up the firewall?  That will be one of the major deciding factors going into the decision.  If I have to cut the firewall I may look for a different motor option.
  • 50C8DAN
    My car is in winter storage but I may be able to stop by and get some measurements this weekend if I get a chance.
  • 50C8DAN
    If you are going down the Buick 8 hop up road you might as well buy this book: http://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/california-bills-chevy-gmc-buick-speed-manual-1954-edition-2/  
    It will give you some tips on how to build up a 320Cu in Buick I8
  • Don't worry about the measurements, I can ask the seller to pull them....thanks though!  I'll also check out the book.

• 50C8DAN
    I was incorrect on the 263 vs. 320 Buick size. Here is the head length of both: The 320 has a head length of 34  1⁄2" while the smaller engines are 31  1⁄4" long.  So the 320 is 3.25 inches longer than the 263.  However, I would still go with the 320 if it was my choice.
  • 50C8DAN
    edited December 2016
    Ken you are right, it turns out the Hudson 8 was one of the most compact straight eights made, as well as being one of the most powerful/cu in.  Not bad for a splasher engine designed in the early 30s.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

I would do the 308?

• terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor

I would do the 308?

Isn't the 308 lighter than the 254? A while ago I compared in Butler's book car weights of cars that could have either engine and the one with the 308 was lighter by 50-75 lbs or so. The eight will be a lot smoother and quieter surely, so it all depends on what you want.
  • 50C8DAN
    A number of years ago I was in the Christmas parade (the same one as my avatar) with my C8.  I had the windows down waving.  More than one bystander said, is that thing even running!  It was so quiet that it was hard to hear at little more than idle. When driving I sometimes think the trans makes more noise than the engine when at cruise.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Having owned several stepdown 8's and 308's there is no comparison when it comes to smoothness and quiet!  If you want brute power from a Hudson go with the 308 but if you want smooth quiet cruising... it's the 354 hands down. In the middle is the 262.
  • 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the clarification Dan.  I have just about 39" from the rad to the lower firewall and 37" from the rad to the upper part of the firewall.  If Ken's memory is correct on the length of his 320 it looks like I may be able to fit the 263, which is 3" shorter, without messing with the firewall. I'm sure it won't be that easy but it does sound feasible at this point. 

I do still have my spare 262 with twin H which I'm assuming would be an easier swap. Anyone know the finer points needed to put a step down motor in an xframe?
  • Well I received the measurements from the seller on the 263 Fireball and it looks like the overall length from the fan back to the bell is slightly over 40".  So, it sounds like I'd have to cut into the firewall to make it fit which is something I don't want to do since it's in great shape.  I'll think I'm going to go to my backup plan and install the 262 with twin H. Now I need to either find the front mounting plate from an x-frame motor or just fabricate some mounts to get the 262 to sit where it should.  I also plan to add an overdrive tranny and later rear end so that I can drive this thing at highway speeds without pushing her too much.
  • 50C8DAN
    Sounds like a good plan!
This discussion has been closed.