Manifold removal

JasonNC
JasonNC Expert Adviser
i am preparing to remove the Twin H manifold from the 49.  I've been forewarned that this item is extremely heavy .  I'm inclined to remove both carburetors to lighten the load before I remove it.  The manual says to remove the manifold with the carburetor still attached.  Is there a particular reason that the manual recommends leaving the carbs on?

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    JasonNC said:
    i am preparing to remove the Twin H manifold from the 49.  I've been forewarned that this item is extremely heavy .  I'm inclined to remove both carburetors to lighten the load before I remove it.  The manual says to remove the manifold with the carburetor still attached.  Is there a particular reason that the manual recommends leaving the carbs on?

Flat rate was figured with out removing carbs. Less time = more money
  • I'm with lostmind.  It probably has more to do with the profitability of the shop than anything else.  I can think of no reason that you shouldn't go with your inclination.

Jason, can you send me a link to that manual?  I tried looking for it, but could only find a 1952 manual, which I don't think is the one you are referencing...
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    I'm pretty sure I got those from Alex Burr's website.  I don't have the link anymore, it's been years since I called myself downloading a service manual.  I know I have one for a 48/49 Hudson and I thought the one I mentioned says 48 to 52.  It has a blue cover....

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    This link will get you where you can find the manual http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1948/1948-52_ShopServiceManual.pdf
  • Thanks, Oldfarmer!

Wow, I see what you mean about the instructions... they seem to make things sound way more complicated... Do I really need to drill out another hole for the choke tube?!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If you are going to use the single carb exhaust manifold. The "kit" that Hudson sold for later installation would require using your old exhaust manifold. The factory installed set up would already have the two tube holes.
  • OK, that makes sense Dave.  I do distinctly remember seeing 2 nubs to attach the 2 choke tubes to on my manifold.
This discussion has been closed.