49 254 losing it's get up and go

harry54
harry54 Senior Contributor
hey ho.. this is harry54 ... question about losing power in my 49cm8 . after running for about half hour.. seem to lose power.. ie. climbing hills, acceleration... ect... symtoms.. if I give it gas , it bogs down.. any thoughts ? ty

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Check for fuel restrictions. Carb filter first then pull the pickup tube out of the tank. There would originally be a filter sock on the end. by removing the tube, that sock will come off and fall to the bottom of the tank. It is probably clogged up and removing the tube will fix that!. Lastly, the flex fuel line from frame to fuel pump may have failed internally due to the Ethanol in your gas. Don't discount the fuel pump either.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    SuperDave is correct. I can tell you my original fuel pump got totally eaten alive by the alcohol in the gas. Any rubber in the fuel system should be suspect if you have never replaced it.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Fuel pump has a screen in it. Make sure that's not plugged.
  • Does the problem go away if you release the gas cap?
  • Harry,

In addition to what Ken suggested, also check the rotor.  I had one that gradually reduced the spark reaching the plugs as it warmed up.

Also, if this problem has occurred gradually, you should check the exhaust valve clearances.  If the clearances of some of the cylinders are way less than specification, the clearance will decrease as the valve stems heat up, and the valves will stay open a little bit.  This gives the symptoms you describe.  I had this happen while taking a long trip around the country.  The car was running fine at the start of the trip, but was running  very poorly 14,000 miles later, at the end of the trip.  I then adjusted the valves, and everything is fine now, after about 5000 more miles.

Per
  • are alcohol-proof gasketing sets available?
  • This happens all of the time with bad condensers. They heat up and loose their value. The newer Chinese ones don't last long at all.
  • I use Standard condensers, NOS from Ebay, made in USA.
  • 48Sed
    48Sed Senior Contributor
    supercub  do you have a part# and is the same one used on both the 8&6?

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Try my website... https://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/  the upper left side of the page has multiple sources to use for part numbers... the Ignition section shows the following:  
  • Standard AL-111, according to Ebay fits, I basketed it but haven't brought it yet for my Wasp just because I have two other projects on it that I want to finish first, but I have brought a bunch of of other Standards for my old bikes, GB150, they are always in spec and hold up well. 
  • How is the NAPA quality for these parts? I see they sell them for my Wasp.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Somebody in the ROC told me that a condenser for a Fiat Panda was OK for my '34 254.
    Whilst highly sceptical that anything for a Fiat would work - even on a Fiat (!) - I tried one and it 
    has.
  • Condensers are pretty much the same except for the mounts and hookup. The values, about .22mf, are all close in the examples I have seen. The Fiat one is probably a CEV, which made good ignition parts back in the day, but to mix the bad blood of a Fiat with solid iron, one may get cold sweats in the middle of the night thinking about it.
This discussion has been closed.