Nice 37 T coupe available

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
This could be a great resto job.  Looks like it is in pretty fair shape for being outside.  Put a 308 in that baby!

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    looks like a Hudson hood and steering wheel , not Terraplane
  • craigslist ad has been removed.  too bad, worth rescuing.
  • I was attempting to communicate with the seller....kind of sketchy.  I emailed him and messaged through facebook several times and I only received short responses.  He posted pics on the FB page and the car was in varying degrees of repair and completeness in several pictures, it almost looked like there were different cars used.  I'm guessing someone beat me to it but I was ready willing and able to make a drive to NJ this weekend to grab it.  I even had a running motor and tranny lined up. :(  
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The car was indeed a Hudson, and a coupe at that.  Occasional patches of surface rust, but the thing looked really solid, and an excellent restoration candidate with most of the bodywork ready to paint.  The front fenders looked to be in excellent shape.  Either one could have brought darned near the asking price of the whole car.

Who knows?  Maybe the seller got so much interest that he decided not to sell.  Or at least to re-list it later at a higher price.
  • 50ClubCoupe
    50ClubCoupe Member
    edited December 2016
    Well, as it turns out persistence was the key. The seller contacted me on Thursday evening and I just made the 21 hour round trip yesterday to pick up this gem. The car is INCREDIBLY solid...no cancer or rust-through anywhere, with the exception of the drivers side floor, and he even had the correct patch panels for it. The rest of the car is solid and hardly a ding anywhere...incredibly straight. There is one small tear in the bottom of the front passenger fender but that's easily fixed. He had all of the parts with the car except for the straight 8 motor and the hood ornament...and perhaps a few other small items. The headlights are there and complete. The bonus was that it came with a convertible cowl, tub and passenger door. Unfortunately the donor car was sitting in the mud for years so the bottom 8-10" inches are gone all the way around the tub and cowl but there might be enough to pattern for a repair. Everything has been media blasted and, aside from the bottom, the metal is in great shape and very straight. The good news is that the tub contains the entire CV top mechanism and it's in great shape. BTW - It's a '37 Model 74 Deluxe 8
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Glad you got it, what a find!
  • Yes, I got lucky with not only finding it, but also lucky that I was given permission by my wife! : )
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    edited December 2016
    Congratulations! From the Craigslist photos it sure LOOKED solid, and promising. I'm so glad a Hudson Lover got it. Personally, I wouldn't try to make a convertible out of it (I've been driving one around for 45 years and know all the downsides, LOL!). Be aware that the X-frame of the cv. is beefy-er than the coupe's. But if you DO decide to create a cv., contact me about a reproduction wooden cv. windshield header!
  • Thanks guys..I'm very excited for the project. I don't have any intention to make it into a convertible. The story was that the seller (John) had taken the car in to restore for a customer and the customer wanted to make it into a CV so they sourced a donor car. The donor car was apparently buried in muck for several years so the bottom perimeter of the tub and the cowl have been compromised. John had proposed cutting the coupe and grafting the good portions of the CV in order to make a convertible but it became cost prohibitive so the customer lost interest and left the car. John and I were going all over the car and couldn't find any areas of concern, other than the driver floor pan, so we were both happy....and very impressed. The car has been very well preserved and the metal is very straight, we were hard pressed to find any slight dings. John was happy to hear that I wasn't planning on mutilating the car and we both left happy over the deal.
This discussion has been closed.