1938 hudson Terraplane headlamps

Asking for a history lesson on the type of headlamps that Terraplanes used during the production years ? I've seen a few different type of lamps on the cars , from round to teardrop , sealed beam to a reflective bulb type . Interested in the teardrop lamp history ! What is correct for model 81 ?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The correct one would have a bullet shaped steel housing, a silver-plated reflector, a 6-volt, 2-filament headlight bulb ("prefocus base" with three holes in it), a socket that attaches to the reflector, a small parking light bulb, and a round glass lens.  There would be (probably) 3 spring steel clips that hold the reflector to the housing.

Possibly there is also a threaded bolt at the bottom, which locks the lens into place (and is loosened in order to remove the lens), and possibly a chrome plated or stainless steel continuous trim piece around the perimeter opening of the housing.  (These headlights changed subtly from year and I don't have a '38 so I'm guessing.)

The teardrop elongated lenses were used on the 1938 Hudsons (not the Hudson 112's).  The true teardrop lenses were used in 1939 Hudsons (except 112s), mounted in the fenders.  In 1940 all headlights were sealed beam (round).
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited November 2016

As Jon indicates, be watchful/careful - The senior 1938 Hudsons had different headlight buckets than did the 'Terraplane' (112) models.  The senior Hudson buckets attached to the fenders had 'teardrop' lenses (as Jon indicates), while the 112 buckets attached to the grille mounting surface, and had round glass - very obvious if you do research and look at photos.

I also put together an instruction (.pdf) a few years ago, on building/rebuilding '39 headlights, which also applies to the '38 112 models as well - (Look in my later post (below) for the Headlight Bucket Guide) -

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Not sure if '38 Terraplane and "112" headlamp units were identical; probably different in some way.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited November 2016
    Jon B said:
    Not sure if '38 Terraplane and "112" headlamp units were identical; probably different in some way.

Actually, the only difference are in the mounts - stamped metal in '38, pot metal in '39 - totally different.  The 'buckets' & internals (light, reflectors, mounting hardware for the reflectors, etc.) are exactly the same.

1938 112 headlight mounts -

1939 Hudson 112 headlight mounts -

• I like the news about 38 Terraplane headlights , thank you to all who responded ! NOW , my Hudson is a 1938 model 81 with sealed beam bulbs in a Housing that bolts directly to the nose of the car on left an right side . They attach as the side panels start to show the vented or slotted strip side panels of the engine bay . Do I have the correct headlamps for this car ?
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    david1956 said:
    I like the news about 38 Terraplane headlights , thank you to all who responded ! NOW , my Hudson is a 1938 model 81 with sealed beam bulbs in a Housing that bolts directly to the nose of the car on left an right side . They attach as the side panels start to show the vented or slotted strip side panels of the engine bay . Do I have the correct headlamps for this car ?

Show us a side view, back view, mounting view...

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You may have the correct headlamp housing.  But if you have sealed beams, a past owner has installed one of the many sealed beam kits that were offered post-1940, each one designed for a particular make and year.

This was done because -- for many years -- sealed beam lamps were much more powerful than the old 32 candlepower lamps that came with your car when new.

Now, the sealed beams are outdated, and quartz-halogen -- and even LED -- lamps are more powerful.  If your car had its original reflector and socket, you could for example install a modern 6-volt quartz-halogen lamp that's been reproduced specially to fit the original socket and reflector common to late-1930's cars.

However, it wouldn't be easy to find the original guts of your car's headlight, since so many of them were replaced with the sealed beam units, just as yours was.  So, just stick with the sealed beam unit (you can find replacements for those).  It won't look totally original but only hard-bitten old car enthusiasts will know!
  • Thanks , I kinda thought that, I wasn't around in the 30s an 40s . Headlamps are just the start of my questions , more to come each an everyday . I'm just Terraplanning !
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    david1956 said:
    Thanks , I kinda thought that, I wasn't around in the 30s an 40s . Headlamps are just the start of my questions , more to come each an everyday . I'm just Terraplanning !

You might post pictures of the light buckets (from other angles), just to be sure.  That 'modified' bucket just doesn't look right to me...

Also, when in doubt, take a good look at the parts manuals, & the 'Butler Book'.

• Here's more , pics . The trim rings could be plated , maybe that might help the look . The headlamps remind me of my farmall tractor lamps , just kidding !
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

What bothered me is what looks to be a 'lip' at the top of the bucket, just behind the rim holding the lens/sealed beam headlight in place.

It looks as if the bucket diameter has been modified (bent over, hammered-in?) at the top, to fit the (smaller(?)) rim and lens?

Advise:  If you were 'set' on getting back to original or 'original looking' headlamps (quartz-halogen or LED, as Jon indicates)  - I would set it as a 'long term' goal, and keep those headlamps in place until you have accumulated the parts and pieces to do it. 

And, take notes from my Headlight Buckets Guide for the parts necessary  - (See the attached .pdf file) -

• Thanks again , I see much is to be done in my Terraplan !
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Top write up Rick, thanks for taking the trouble to do that. Clues cam be gleaned from it to apply to earlier bullet headlights.
  • You are absolutely right , Rick took the time to give me the history lesson I needed , thank you !
  • Rick,

Thanks for the detailed write-up, with the excellent photographs of each step in the assembly.  It will be helpful for many people.

Per
  • sime
    sime Member
    Hi,
    I've been told this is a hudson HeadLamp, does it look familiar to you guys?
    Looking to restore it and wanted guidance about going about it without causing damage. Any help appreciated

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Sime, do you have photos taken at other angles?  This could be from a 1938 or 39 Hudson 112 or '38 Terraplane.  Or, if it is a ''teardrop" shaped lens (as seen from the front), a 1938 Hudson.  Or none of the above! 

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i_AovfzNXgQ/SxmrsG-JNmI/AAAAAAABBBQ/nly0QXUu7ik/s1600/38%252520Hud%252520Super%252520Terra-105j.jpg
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Maybe a senior Hudson - not from a 112 (neither year, 1938 or 1939)…

This discussion has been closed.