Heavy-duty 6-volt flasher available?

Jon B
Jon B Administrator
edited November 2016 in HUDSON
My turn signal flashes so quickly that the lights barely reach full intensity before they go off.  The indicator light even stops blinking, it's going so fast.   I'd like to slow things down a bit!

I think the reason may be this: when I changed my front fender lights to turn signal lights (this is for a 1937 Terraplane), I installed rather powerful bulbs: 21 candlepower; almost as bright as some headlights were in the old days.  (Since the lenses are milk glass, when the sun hits them you can hardly see the lights blink unless they are very bright.)

So, because the turn signal bulbs now draw so much more power than the original bulbs would have taken, I am reasoning that this is overloading the flasher, which was probably designed for much less of a load.  (I don't recall what flasher is in there now but I think it's either a #229D or a 535.)

Would everyone agree that (barring a short-circuit somewhere along the line, which I'll check) my problem probably rests with a flasher that's not mated to the heavy load?  If so, can anyone suggest a more powerful flasher (one that might for example have been used in a truck, which would have had multiple turn signal lamps)?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions!

Comments

• 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    Jon   -   Usually, the more amperage being drawn thru a circuit, the slower the "blink" will be.   It sounds to me like you may have one  or more of your bulbs burned out or a break in your wiring harness feeding your turn signal lights.

Jerry
  • The electronic version also allows use of LED "bulbs" since they aren't dependent on current draw to heat the bi-metal strip in the conventional flasher. Great idea but I've never been able to find the electronic type in 6V.

Any suggestions on where to find them?

F

• charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Victor-ef32 is for 12 volt works on 6 volt and leds so i m told
  • jjbubaboy
    jjbubaboy Senior Contributor
    edited November 2016
    Think I may have seen one that would work while perusing--

Jeff

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Thanks for the thoughts so far. Bubaboy, I just checked memotronics and went through about 12 flahsers but all were 12 volts.  And there are still a couple dozen more.  If you know which one might fit 6v I'd be grateful for the info!  Note: these are all electronic and they say they're polarity sensitive.  So I'm wondering if they'll fit 6 volt positive ground?
  • All,

A little deeper snooping reveals an EF 33 electronic flasher that is rated for 6.75V to 15V. 6.75 is well within the range of generator/alternator output when the engine is running and may work when it isn't, but I rarely use my turn signals when I'm parked.....so, I crossed it to a NAPA #, NF EL 13L1. Their description says 12V but the pn suggests it is a match for the EF 33. I'll get one coming and report back.

As far as polarity goes, you simply must match it to what the flasher wants. Some of the 12V units have polarity sensing circuitry and reverse it if necessary, but I'm sure there ain't no such thing in a 6V. We're a dying breed.

Frank

This discussion has been closed.