Stepdown rims on a Jet

LHudson
LHudson Expert Adviser
Has anyone ran stepdown rims on a Jet? They are wider than the Jet rim. Getting ready to put shoes on the Jet and plan on radial rires. The Jet rim is smaller and with the radial, will get the pinching effect on the tires. I realize the hubcap options will change with the stepdown rim.  Just an idea.   LHud

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Have used 49 convertible rims on a 54 Jet , tight fit but they worked.
    Been a while ago , don't remember the tire size. Probaly 7.10 x 15
  • My experience has been that radials are nice for long distance driving, but result in heavier steering in city driving (unless of course with power steering).
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    The recommended tire for the Jet is 195/75/15. I have been looking at a 205/75/15. I am wanting to get away from the pinching effect. It causes the vehicle to have a roll effect in the tire (lean).   LHud
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    The 205/75 X 15 would be an excellent choice for the Jet mounted on the wider step-down rims.  This will also spread you tread width a bit, and will therefore increase the handling qualities of the Jet.  The one down side is  you will have to locate other hub caps, as I don't believe the original Jet caps will mount to the step-down wheels.
This discussion has been closed.