28 Essex Fan Pully and Bearing

The bearing on my fan pulley seized. I'm assuming it ran out of grease. I managed to free it and used emery cloth and a drill to smooth out the affected areas. After reinstalling the bearing and pulley the grease is seeping out and flinging all over the place. Is this normal? Should I expect the excess grease to leak out? If not, any suggestions to remedy? I was thinking a new bushing might help. I also had suggestions to replace the original bearing with a newer version with some spacers, but I would prefer to keep it original if possible.

Comments

• ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Blaine, these fan pulleys with the bushings should not be over greased otherwise you will get it flinging out as you have experienced - grease little and often rather than overdoing it. The seizure could well have affected the grease retention due to excess wear - how much slop is there when you wiggle the pulley? Also the fan belt must never be tight as with a modern car. 
    A new bushing may be the answer if the current one has a lot of slop or machining the hub to fit a modern bearing can be done. I have the pattern from a NZ member who has done the conversion. 
    I have spare pulley units if needed but freight from here could be a cost issue.
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.