DavidC
DavidC Senior Contributor
Any leads appreciated!

Dave

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited October 2016
    There was a write up a couple of years ago about one of our older members having electric power steering installed in his stepdown.  I can't find that article but here is another.  In many ways it retains the orginal under hood appearance and you need to look down on the floor to see the unit:

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Mike Madden in Tenn has electric PS in his 54 Jet. Don Brown installed same in a 49 sedan. Kerry Dancy in Florida has installed same in client Hudsons. Several to correspond with...
  • DavidC
    Thanks to all who have commented re the electric power assist.  Yes, this is definitely an option, and maybe the best one.  Concerned about hearing electric motor whirring every time I steer but perhaps noise is not an issue.  Will look into this.  Thanks!
    Dave
  • 50C8DAN
    edited October 2016
    I am working on a Studebaker truck somewhat rodded with Stude power, but I am definitely going with the electric PS as it saves underhood clutter, etc.

As for noise this is a DC motor that only engages when you turn the wheel and there is no whirring that I am aware of.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    edited October 2016
  • charles4d
    charles4d Expert Adviser
    Wonder if you can get it in a 6 volt system?
  • 50C8DAN
    12V neg ground only from what I have found.
  • Kdancy
    12v system. No reservoirs, no oil, no extra pulleys or belts. If power is lost, systems reverts to stock non-power.
  • DavidC
    Thanks again all.  Lots to think about.  Not thrilled with the install of the electric motor requiring mods to shift column, but glad to have this as backup.  To those who have done the electric assist route, do you hear that motor under dash?
    For now I wish to look for an original system, but this car WILL have power steering- it's what my wife wants.

Dave
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Have you driven a stepdown with the original system?  It's not like the modern cars. It's an "assist" system . You might change your mind.
  • DavidC
    SuperDave please tell me more.  No, I have not driven a car with this system.  All I know is how its function is described in the manual.  You begin to turn and once you've exerted 3 lbs pressure it begins to assist.  All I know.  So, to those with the original system, what is it like to drive with it? I've seen a description ofthe ride quality somewhere describing it as vague. 
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I don't have PS on either of my Step-Downs and I don't need it.  BUT, I have Bias-Ply tires on both cars.  I often comment that one day I'm gonna go back to radials, at least on the sedan, but I'm not going to do that without fitting PS to the car.  Even then, you don't absolutely have to have it, but you have to operate a little differently.  For instance, you have to start the car rolling before you start turning the wheel.  If you sit and start yanking the wheel around, it's my contention that you actually put too much stress on your front end-- certainly more than what was designed into the system.  This is with radials, mind you.  

But, I'm also a little older now and I'd like to be able to drive it easily and I'd like my wife to be able to drive without having to fight it.  

To sum up, PS with Bias Plies is a belt-and-suspenders affair.  PS with radials:  Nice if you can get it.  
  • 50C8DAN
    What RL said.  I have a 40 buick limo with bias ply tires and it is not bad even sitting still to turn.  My '50 C8 has radials, and sitting still it is a lot of work to turn, but moving even just a bit is not bad.  However, driving with bias plys seems to not be as steady, it tends to want to move around more.  I like driving with the radials better overall.
  • 2 cents>> believe problem to be front end weight and steering ratios built in to overcome the weight. BIGGEST situation is turns required lock to lock because of all that. I have 54 power steering on my 53 and if I didn't, I would not want the car. I have had many 40 and 50's cars in all my years and never have I had so many turns lock to lock.    But I never had a big heavy car either. Maybe those were like that~~
     I very nearly ran into the ditch when I first drove the car into my driveway; didn't turn the wheel fast enough and far enough to make the 90 degree turn--seriously.
    Would assume it would be difficult for a lady to drive a non-power stepdown. Had I driven one initially I think I would have never bought a Hudson. My PS works very good and steering mechanism is very good, thus it is fun to drive: once you get over and become aware of the many turns required of the large steering wheel you will enjoy the car.
    Again, if my car did not have PS, I would not have it in my possession. I also have a 1931 Franklin with wooden spoke wheels and it is easy to drive w/o PS;  but I digress.
    SO: David, install the power steering and enjoy the car much more ~~~~~really.
    AND, yes, I have large radial tires and the PS is an absolute requirement.
    Russ, you are correct and I am 79 so perhaps the discussion has come full-circle: just not young enough anymore !!

• I've never driven an aftermarket add-on electric power steering system, but my modern hybrid (2013 Ford C-Max) has factory electric power steering, and it works great.  It handles amazingly, like a go-cart, and you don't hear any noise.

With that being said, I have no idea how those aftermarket systems would work on a 1950s car, but I just wanted to chime in that electric power steering is not automatically "bad," as some people seem to think.  I'd imagine experiences would vary greatly...
  • DavidC
    Thanks for the above.  Please note I am familiar with driving a Hudson without PS.  My son has a 53 HH Sedan some of you may have seen in Tn.  He and I have no problem with it.  My wife has arthritis.  The car is for her.  We are planning radials.  So, PS is gonna be a must.  The choice seems to come down to electric add-on vs original.  The electric motor in the add-on is under dash, so unlike modern cars with the motor under the hood, noise is a concern for me.  It also requires cutting steering column and bending shift column to circumnavigate bracket, according to the pics I've seen.  Still need noise question answered.  The 54 system's performance has been brought into question.  So I definitely want to hear more about this.  It's down side is being old, and occupying lots of underhood space.  Have to figure out where the AC goes as well- yes, my wife wants its, so it's gonna happen.  So far I have one vote that the 54 PS works very well.  In some other thread someone suggested its performance is poor, but there are many factors that might contribute to this, such as worn PS pumps or ram, or problems with the remainder of the steering system, such as gear, centerpoint, etc.  So, if any of you have a 54PS system installed on a car with the whole system in good nick, I definitely want to know more.  Thanks!  Also, those with electric under dash, let me know if it is worth all that cutting and bending.  Thanks!

Hudsonly,
    Dave
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Dave-

Is price an issue?  Because I guarantee that if you go with original equipment, it's going to cost considerably more than retro-fitting.  With the OE, not only do you generally pay exorbitant prices, but then you have to re-build the parts.  If you have AC already, then there's going to be some engineering involved with the pulleys to figure out how to add another accessory, etc.  

If you want some feedback on how a '54 PS set-up feels, contact John Forkner at HETforkner@aol.com  (drop the HET before sending).  He has a low-mileage '54 Hornet Sedan with original PS that works beautifully (very tight, due to the low mileage).  
  • I was taught from childhood not to "horse" on the wheel at a standstill. At all costs, avoid turning the wheel unless vehicle is moving. I can still hear my Dad shouting that rule at anyone who dared commit that sin in his presence. Adding power assist to a Hudson that still has the original steering mechanism may make it easier to steer, be the effort is only reduced at the wheel......the rest of the system will suffer unless operating care is exercised.

My two bits worth,

F

• 50C8DAN
    Although I have not "heard" one of the new electric power steering units I also have not heard anyone complain about noise.  If you look at how these work, the motor does not sit there are run continuously, but only engages and assists when needed.  It sits there and does nothing until called upon, and then only runs and assists accordingly.  It is a DC high torque unit so I can't imagine it generates any noise that would be an issue, if it generates any noise at all.
  • SuperDave

I think this thread has covered the subject well. Lots of good input.

With the original system,the number of turns "lock to lock" is the same as manual  (lots).  Also there is lost motion. The first input from the steering wheel has a small "delay" that is not present in the modern R&P P.S. Ford used the same system in the 60's. It feels like you have to constantly steer the car one way or another. Driving down the road with a non moving steering wheel is not possible. Rack and pinion does away with that. I did add power  R&P to a 49 and that was a dramatic change. The only problem with that was that the steering was "touchy". didn't feel like there was a "center' Lots of caster can cure that but how in the hell do you do that with kingpins? With some fudging I was able to get maybe 2 1/2 degrees. I have never driven a Hudson with the electric steering. Maybe Kerry will let me pilot one of his? LOL

• Quadster
    Quadster Expert Adviser
    Ken U-Tx said:
    I have a whole '54 setup.........Might be persuaded to part with it.
    Ken, How much persuasion do you need--I would like to purchase your setup.

You can contact me at HETharleyfree@gmail.com  drop the HET
  • Kdancy
    http://epasperformance.com/testimonials/
    Some good reading here about its performance. more info on install and performance.
  • 50C8DAN
    Thanks for that link. They have a pretty nice setup of kits for all kinds of applications!
  • I have a 54 Super Wasp with power steering and tinted windows parts car listed on the HET forum for sale.
  • 50C8DAN
    Note that the Wasp and Hornet PS units are not the same and do not interchange.
  • SuperDave
    The steering sector is different, but I think the pump and servo are the same ?? It may take a little ingenuity to get a system together.
  • 50C8DAN
    I would hazard to guess that PS on Wasps were rarer than on Hornets?
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Super Dave,50C8DAN you are right! The 1954 Wasp Hollywood I sold last year had PS. The pump is the same with big car.
This discussion has been closed.