47 hudson super six pick up truck

maxkaydo
maxkaydo Member
edited October 2016 in HUDSON
I have found one of these trucks and the fella wants to sell it to me. However I know absolutely nothing about these vehicles other than there was not a lot of them made and seems they are hard to come by. I would like to buy the truck but I am just making sure it is a good investment and I am not shooting my self in the foot before I do I really do like the truck it is in no shape or format all original. What I know from what he told me. It has some surface rust, missing door handles motor supposedly is a 308 from what he said although the head said 262 and was cast iron. The bed is full of stuff can't see how good the bed looks inside front grill is missing a piece and headlight is busted. Said it was a three speed with overdrive and the clutch was a wet cork?? There was no air cleaner but both have carbs where there hood opens well and all of the glass is still intact last time truck was inspected was 1975 least that's what the license plate registration sticker said. With out pictures what do you all think this would be worth. Not quite sure what to do how many are left in existence. How many where made in 1947 they say less than 3000. Really would like to take it on as a full restore but if the numbers don't match would it make it that much less valuable. What would someone pay for a truck of this caliber

Comments

• Go to YouTube type in the search hudson6037 truck is black let me know what u guys think please.
  • Hudson6037 YouTube search bar I uploaded this video
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited October 2016

Watched the video, looks like a decent project. 

- If it has a 308 dual carb engine in it, it is not original. They came with a 212 cu in 'splasher' engine.  The 308 would be from a later Hudson, and is a somewhat common 'swap', along with the 3-speed and OD.

- The bed would / should be wood w/metal slats; 

- A rear bumper is not stock.  They came without one;

It should have a 'wet' cork clutch.  About the only issue with them is that the clutch tends to 'stick' to the plate, when left for periods of time.  It requires about 6 oz. of Hudsonite (clutch fluid), to keep it 'happy', and when maintained is very smooth and reliable.

From the looks of it, the truck looks to some years of neglect & has been stored outside for a while - luckily, that looks like a CA (?) tag, but am not sure.

The missing parts that I have seen from the video are somewhat minor (as long as the underlying metal is solid), and can be found/replaced. 

The major points where rust shows are the lower edges/corners of the cab, fenders and doors.  On the frame, it is usually the back half, where the 'X' meets the frame (you will know what I mean when you look at the frame under the truck), where it juts upward to go around the wheel well, and where the back leaf spring is supported by the frame.

Value?  That's more difficult.  Based on the limited view in the video, $3-$5 K would be a decent price, depending on condition (obviously not running). 

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

There were roughly 3200 made in 46/47.  There are about 325 46s in the HET roster and about 150 47s.  Probably another hundred or so in barns, woods or not in the Hudson club

Probably worth 4 - 6000 with the 308 twin H and OD mostly there and not running.

Larry, HET commercial registrar

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

Uncle Josh

I tried to send you a PM.

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Didn't get it, email HETcramerlp@roadrunner.com
This discussion has been closed.