1949 Hudson Night Train for sale

triman62
triman62 Member
edited October 2016 in HUDSON
Old Kustom Hudson Night Train is for sale at $70,000.00. Traditional Kustom with many modifcations including being sectioned. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5830447443.html

Comments

• I wonder if will find a new home?
    imageimage
  • A member of our NW Chapter has a sectioned '48 coupe that was done somewhere in the '50s. That's got to be a huge undertaking. Hornet powered. Maybe he'll jump in with details, as he's a frequent forum visitor.

I'm sure he'd be interested in seeing if they get their price!

Frank 

• MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor

I remember seeing the Night Train in Hot Rod magazine "back in the day", and it was probably my biggest inspiration for getting into Hudsons (I had no relatives with them, or specific memories of them).  So when the "other" sectioned Hudson came up on Ebay in California about 10 years ago, I ended up with it. 

I've never posted pics on here, so will give it a try, but will email pics to Frank to post if I can't get the hand of it. (Oops, turns out I'm at the wrong computer- no pics.  Will try from home)

And yes, I'd be very interested to see if he gets his price.  I'm not cheap, but I could be bought!

• WOW! Another sectioned Kustom Hudson, that would be awesome to see. Hope you can post some pictures. Here is some of the magazine pictures from Hot Rod 1959, courtesy of Ric Hoving Custom Car Photo Archive.imageimage
  • MikeWA

Here's a couple of pics.  I hope.  Asking $70,000, will take less.  A LOT less. 

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited October 2016
    That is a nice looking custom!  Any interior shots?
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    The red and white car is NOT "Night Train".   I'm confused.  Someone sort this out.   Night Train is advertised as having unfinished interior.   Are both the black and the red and white cars for sale and both asking $70K ???

• Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    edited October 2016

Read the previous posts on the subject. These are two different cars, the "Night Train" that's for sale and Mike's '48 Custom that's not......unless someone wants to make him change his mind! (Please don't.......... we can't afford to lose any NWC members!).

Frank 

• 50C8DAN
    I like the Red and White one, just to be clear.  Looks like something the Flash would drive!

• Would that make it a "Flash Drive" then?

F

• Wouldn't a car - any car - just slow the Flash down?!  C'mon, people!
  • "Looks like a Merc!!!!!" They've got that one backwards. We've seen people spend horrific amounts of money trying to make a Merc look like a Hudson.....but it never will be.

Frank

• 50C8DAN
    Well the Flash, when he is Barry Allen needs a car to not give away his secret identity!
  • MikeWA said:

Here's a couple of pics.  I hope.  Asking $70,000, will take less.  A LOT less. 

I saw this Hudson on Custom Car Photo Archive also, Did'nt notice it was sectioned. It shows well in those colors. It is a cool custom thanks for posting. Here is some pics I  found of it.
  • triman62
    triman62 Member
    edited October 2016
    Here is a better picture. Looks like it had a different grill in this old photo.imageimage
  • 50C8DAN
    Also cool that it is still Hudson powered!

Yeah.....there's nothing less conspicuous than a sectioned Red & White '48 Hudson Coupe. The ultimate Stealth vehicle.

F

• MikeWA
    Just to clear things up- yes, there are two cars.  Night Train was built by Duane Aspengren in Chula Vista, CA, and mine (the Silver Streak) was done by a guy in Minnesota.  Word is that he saw an article about sectioning cars in Popular Mechanics, or some such, and did it just to see if he could.  He was not a "hot rodder", and this is the only car he ever built.  No evidence that he even knew about Aspengren's car. Took him several years, using primarily a hack saw and oxy-acetylene torch.  Seams were all done with lead.  It is truly sectioned (4 inch piece taken out of the middle of the lower red portion, primarily).  You can see the seam on the door frame when you open the door.  Night Train had 4 inches taken off of the bottom of the car all the way around, and then the body lowered (channeled) over the "frame"- in quotes because it doesn't really have a frame.  I can't really get my head around how it was done, but then, I could never get my head around a lot of other things, either.  I'm taking the car to International in San Diego, so will try to visit the Night Train, wherever it may be, for a side-to-side comparison.  

Owner's son had a "fender-bender" accident in the mid '60's- wrecked one front fender and the hood.  They put it in the garage, and there it stayed for the rest of the owner's life.  A car guy down the street had seen the rear of the car in the garage when the garage door was open, and had stopped in from time to time to see if he could buy it.  Owner never would sell, eventually got Alzheimers and died in the early '90's.  The family sold the car to the guy down the street, and he fixed the damage (said he had to cut a fender into 7 pieces to finally "get it right), and made some other improvements:  Installed Twin H, then had to put a hump in the hood to clear the front carb- made it out of the depression in a '57 Chev hood.  Replaced the deteriorated Masonite panel between the back (Lincoln) bumper and the body, and tilted the continental kit forward a little.  He also replaced the crumpled '55 Ford grill- anybody care to guess what it is from?  I didn't believe it when he told me, until I verified it in the front views of cars in an old Motor Repair Manual.

He eventually sold it to two guys out of Sonoma, California (Napa Valley).  I found out about it when I inquired on this board about the Aspengren car, whether anybody knew if it still existed.  Was told that Ed Mueller in San Bernardino had it, but someone else posted a link to the Streak on Ebay.  Long story short, I called the guys, flew to Sacramento the next day, rented a car, drove to Sonoma, negotiated a purchase, enjoyed a very nice Mexican dinner compliments of my host, drove back to Sacramento and flew home in time for bed.  

I do drive it some, but need to do some things to make it more comfortable to drive.  Picture my pleasingly portly self in a step down but with everything 4 inches closer to the floor.  Especially the steering wheel.  I've got a buddy who does auto upholstery, and we're scheming on doing a new seat bottom (the old one is shot anyhow) that's lower and further back.  Another approach might be power steering so I could put on a smaller steering wheel, but its got a '51 Ford Crestliner wheel now, and I kind of like it.  Am also looking at other improvements to make it more road-worthy, ala Walt Mordenti's modifications.  I could also use some "Forecast" Naugahyde, in red and white, to re-do the interior in its present early 50's diner motif.  

It isn't actively for sale, and the $70,000 thing was kind of a jab at Mueller (seems overpriced, IMHO).  I guess someone could probably talk me out of it for something in the mid to upper 20's, or an "interesting" trade.  Hopefully a Hudson trade, so I wouldn't have to join the Studebaker club or something.  

Well, that's my story, in an enormous nutshell, and I'm stickin' to it.  Questions will be answered- I'm a lawyer, so in the best traditions of that profession, if I don't know the answer I'll make something up.
  • I got a convertible I just put up its a project solid pass it on thanks
  • MikeWA, Thanks for the history on the Silver Streak. The section job on it gives the car the right look, I like it a lot. It is a very interesting car.
  • MikeWA
    49johnny, your post is a little cryptic- do you have a project convertible you want to trade?  Or just have one? Or whatever?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Yes, thanks Mike for the update on your car.  Cool history.  
This discussion has been closed.