Wasp/Pacemaker

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
Has anyone swapped a Chevy front suspension into the SWB Hudson stepdown?  Just wondering if it's easier or more difficult than doing the LWB Hornet/Commodore ???  End result to have a SMB Chevy engine. ? jus wunderin.

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Ive seen pictures on this Forum using a Mustang 2 front but not a Chevy. ... I installed a Camaro front Clip under a '47.... However, If concerned about the center point steering on a SWB touching the Chevy Pan, consider installing a GM power Rack & Pinion Unit then add Disc Brakes on the Hudson Hubs. Actually, Ive seen Rocket 88 Olds Motor in a stock front end Pacemaker.
  • LHudson
    LHudson Expert Adviser
    I know a guy that put a Nova clip under a 49. 
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor

I put a GM R&P in a 49, used a hydraboost MC with front disc brakes. The steering was a real headache but finally got it to work. Had trouble getting enough caster to have a "center".

Sometimes I like to think "outside the lines".  As an example.....

Since the SWB cars have an indented firewall, how about swapping a GM front stub and use a LWB dog house? Then the engine can sit a little further back and clear the center steer? Maybe easier to graft an indented firewall into a LWB car..hmm..

I have worked on a 51 Pacemaker that had a Chevy 250 and PG. What a MESS!  Exhaust exits on Drivers side for one thing.  They put a one piece drive shaft in it and cut all the cross members out. I was a little reluctant to put it on the frame lift. I was afraid it would twist the body.

This discussion has been closed.