Shifter rods needed

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
On a 48-51 single lever transmission, there are two rods. One from the column to the bell crank and one from the bell crank to transmission. I just need the two rods. reasonably priced LOL.

Comments

• pretty sure I have them Dave.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If Lance doesn't I do
  • SuperDave
    I'll get back to you fellows after the hurricane. Hopefully we will still have a home and a garage...maybe won't have a need! LOL 
  • SuperDave

time to update this thread. Hurricane just ripped a few trees apart.  A few hours on the whole house generator until FLPL got the power back on.

Back to the removal of the DriveMaster stuff and put it in stock NON DM shifter rods.

I installed or tried to install some rods I got. Not working, I think I can build or modify the stuff I have if I had the dimensions. Center to center on the two rods.  Parts book plate 29, key numbers K21-76 & K21-50. If someone has a car in an easy to measure situation, like with the fender off? LOL. 

• SuperDave
    Does anyone have a couple shift rods on a 48-51 parts car they would part with? I have been thrashing on this thing for two days and still can't find anything that will work. If I knew that I have the proper pieces off a car to start with, At least I'll know the parts are correct and I'm doing something wrong! LOL
  • SuperDave
    edited December 2016

I have researched the parts I need. If anyone has these parts  tagged with the part number..( Yea good luck)

Upper rod P/N 302509 ( used in late 49) I don't know what the difference is, since all the other parts interchange. P/N 300731 was used in early 49.

Lower rod, P/N 300734

• Fred
    Fred Expert Adviser
    Dave sorry it took so long getting back to you but Northeast Ohio turned from fall to winter the day I saw your post. My sheet shows the rod from the shift column to be K21-50 and is 13 inches long. The rod to the transmission is shown as K 21-76 , is adjustable and is 14 inches long. My Hudson Title shows it to be serial # 484101205 so I think it is an early 48.
    I installed a new (Al Safrain rebuilt) transmission a month ago and am having similar problems to what you are having. My car originally had drivemaster and I took it off about 46 years ago. Hope this helps.
    Fred
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Dave,

I had remembered trying to use the shift rod from a standard to replace the
    two rods (to and from the bell crank) on my 49.  Today, I remembered why I
    couldn't do it.  The shift rod is twisted to line up with the bell crank,
    making it the wrong twist for the direct shift rod.

To switch, I would have to change the shift rod in the steering column to a
    standard.  I have a couple of those down in the barn, but not sure I want to
    do it.  The bell crank doesn't cause me that much trouble so I decided to
    stay with it.

I have a couple of stepdown columns with the rod with the correct twist down
    in the shed, and must have the rod from steering column shift rod to the
    tranny since I haven't used it.

If you want to go that route, I can fix you up I think.

Larry
  • SuperDave

fared & josh, Thanks for the input!

I wondered what the difference in the two part numbers for the shaft on the column was. now I know- a different twist on the bottom!  I have a pair of shift rods and the bellcrank on their way. Should be here today. I will give them a try. They are from a 50 so should fit my late 49. The rods I got interfered with the clutch fork linkage and the steering arm part of the steering box. I tried re-bending them and changing the lengths. Got it really screwed up! I sure would love to have a conversation with those engineers!. It appears that there were about three different configurations PLUS the HDM linkage which is totally different.  I'll report back here with my results. 

• SuperDave

The parts arrived this afternoon. I still had trouble getting everything hooked up. Remember I had nothing to look at for reference but the shop manual and parts book illustrations. That was my downfall. When I finally got everything hooked up and the neutral cable thing done. Reverse gear was where first is supposed to be! The down rod had to go in front of the steering box, not behind! That reversed the action of the bellcrank. It works now but does need a slight tweek to make me happy. Getting all the drive master mechanisms out sure took up all the play in the linkage. much easier to shift now. Been around my rural 2.25 mile block with no failures..LOL

I even thought about reversing the shift lever on the transmission, but nixed that when I found it would hit the floor board, I have a transmission I removed from  49 years ago. checked it and it was "down".  It sure would be nice to have neighbor with a Hudson to compare. The nearest single lever Hudson is more than a 100 miles from here!

Dang this is fun ! LOL

This discussion has been closed.