1954 Hornet convertible project for sale

bull_islander
bull_islander Expert Adviser
edited October 2016 in Vehicles
In the pursuit of more garage space and a feeling of never going to get it done, I've decided to sell my two cars (I'm not giving it up, but will be buying another; sort of a 2 for 1 deal or 2 plus more money for 1).

The first up is a 1954 Hornet convertible.  My grandfather bought this car in the 70's and it last ran around 1977.  That's when it began a restoration process that completely stalled out.  My grandfather passed away in 1994 and I can say I haven't been able to get going on it either.

Not for the faint of heart.  The car is in primer and all trim, engine, transmission, seats have been removed.  No progress has been made on any of these pieces other than removal.  Through I didn't make progress on it, through the years, I have kept an eye open and bought pieces I would need when I saw them.  At the end of this post is a link to photos.  There's some on there to get you started, and I will have more posted when I get them (hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend).  I've added some narrative with the photos.  

I've started working on gathering pieces and putting them together.  Really though, someone will need to bring a truck, trailer and plan to spend a good portion of the day loading everything up.  I should have everything for it and in some cases duplicate pieces.

I have two blocks to go with the car.  One is a 51-53 block.  The other I have not identified yet.  I have seven transmission cores from which two will go with the car (hydramatic, borg warner, your choice).  There's a chip in the windshield that's in the car.  I have a spare.  Most of the stainless trim will have duplicates.  You should certainly have one good set for cleaning and polishing.  Some of the chrome pieces in the pictures have been replated and may look good, but will need replating again for the finished product.  There's a twin h manifold and air cleaners.

I'm asking $10,000.  Putting word here first as I continue to gather photos etc.  Will most likely move on to ebay or somewhere else once I get it more together.

I will edit and update this message as I think of more details to pass on.  As mentioned above, here's the link to the photos I have uploaded to this point:

my email is xxxsteven.clarke@poquoson-va.gov  (remove the xxx).

More pictures added 10/1 including pictures of individual seats.  And I have extra seats from a sedan if those are wanted for donor springs etc.

Steve Clarke
Poquoson, VA  (southeast VA; near Williamsburg, Newport News).

Comments

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    As Steve said, it's not for the faint of heart. However, all of the really hard to find convertible-specific parts are there, which is a huge plus.  If you have been wanting a Hudson convertible project and have a lot of staying power, this is a good deal.  As far as an investment, Hagerty has recently listed #1 Hornet Convs. with Twin-H just shy of 200K.  That's a #1 car, not a driver, however.  Would like to see this one go to a Hudson enthusiast.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Russell Maas where are you?
This discussion has been closed.