Radios for 1939 Hudson

Hey gang, just got a question regarding the radios in the 39's. I just spoke with Steve and he informed me that my DB38 is not original to my car as the 39's had push button. That the only 39s that had DB38 is the trucks. So that being said I gotta wonder if my face plate is ordinal. Does anyone have a 92 with a DB38?    

Comments

• 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited September 2016

Reason why the '39 pickups had the DB38 radio (if they had a radio at all) was because the '39 pickups had a '38 dashboard... LOL!  My pickup didn't even have a heater...

I guess it really depends on who installed the radio - the Hudson assembly plant, or the dealer.  If it was the dealer, they would probably install what they had 'in stock'.  If it happened to be a DB38, that's what was installed (just a WAG on that)...

• Well I was starting to wonder was my dash face plate changed sometime over the years but also I have what I believe to be an early 39 as my car serial No. is a 922 so it is possible that I could have the stock 1938 radio I guess. My car does have the heater and locking gas cap also. Thought that was cool. .
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator

Do you have pictures of your dash?  And, maybe of the radio 'head' for the 38 & 39, for comparison purposes?

There is a big difference in the opening/place for the radio 'head', at least from what I see of the 'blank' that covers the opening in the dash for each...

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Here's what Rick is talking about.  This is the 38 dash in my 39, 112 panel delivery.

• Val
    Val Member
    Rick I'll look and see what I have to upload. The car is wildrick right now so I don't have access to it. 
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited October 2016
    onerare39 said:
    Here's what Rick is talking about.  This is the 38 dash in my 39, 112 panel delivery.

Thanks John - Exactly. 
    Everyone - It is mainly the center portion of the dash that is changed from '38 to '39 (on the cars), and a much larger opening for the radio in '39 - at least for the non-commercial vehicles. Notice the very small 'radio delete plate' in the center of the dash in John's photo of the dashboard in his '39 112 panel truck.

Here's what the '39 Hudson 112 'radio delete plate' looks like for the cars -

** Note:  Since this would not 'fit' my '39 Hudson 112 Model 90 pickup, it has already been donated to a friend's project.

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    For information I have a spare one of those blanking plates plus the left hand side charging light surround as well  
  • Val
    Val Member
    edited October 2016
    Guys if you go on to wildrick restoration web sit and slide 30 of 30 is my dash board of my car give me any thoughts you may have. The radio is out but I do have it. 
  • The 112 model 90 radio fitment which the above dash plate covers up is quite different to the model 92. See 112 model 90 dash picture here.
This discussion has been closed.