Coupe or HT (Hollywood)

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
Looking at 2dr Hudsons I like the lines of the Hollywoods but there seems to be a lot that like the coupe style.  I assume this is a personal preference more than anything else.  Any advantage of one over the other?

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Only thing I can offer is , the hardtop looks like a convertible with the top up.
    A personnel preference , but I like the coupes and Broughams better.
    Cost a bit more to restore a Hollywood if you need parts , they usually bring more $ when done
    because of low production.

• The coupes also have more of a racing pedigree, as I doubt many Hollywoods were raced.  (Just an assumption - there are probably exceptions!)
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2016
    Practical consideration, I have owned 2 convertible's and 3 Hollywoods there is a greater cost to obtain and install rubber seals. Also the Convertible and Hollywood are more prone to rattling noises. Personally I have not seen an example of either model that were water and wind tight. I view them as fair weather vehicles. On the other hand the coupe, club sedan and 4 door can be sealed and are generally rattle and noise free.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited September 2016
    I purchased a 1954 Hudson Hornet Special coupe.  My experience is that it is a point of preference and what is available.  My first choice would have been the brougham. I like the low profile of the top.  Next by my choice is the coupe--the Hollywood's have a more box'ie appearance with the back of the top a few inches higher than the coupe.  The Hollywood's have a bit more bling, particularly with the interior bright work on the doors and back panels.  And, we have to add the stainless on the headliner.  In my case, I wanted the coupe.  If you watch the Old Car Price Guides, they place the value of the coupe above the Hollywood and the club sedan's.  However, with condition as the prime motivator, I never see two equal cars for sale at the same time (cars that have actually sold.)  So, again, for my point of view, I would say, take whatever is available or be prepared to pay additional money to get what you want.  To me, at sixty five down the highway, it does not matter.
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    edited September 2016
    Brownie I agree with many of your comments but most of the old car values place the HW above the CP across the board. Here are prices from Old Cars guide.  I use this as a relative guide it is far from accurate, but you are right we rarely see two cares of equal quality for sale a the same time.

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    I guess I should look at my price guide before I spout off.  Sorry for misleading anyone.  Will be excited to see what you find available to purchase.....  I am partial to the 54's but would be excited to see anything you take to a show.
This discussion has been closed.