I need your help - Barn find - 53 Hudson Superwasp

Hello, recently got a great old car, I think its a 53 Hudson Super wasp that has been sitting for a very long time.  Car was last tagged in 1956 in California and has 3407 miles on it, I have pictures to prove everything.  It has sat under a carport for many years and seems to have only surface rust from what I can see.  I am not a restoration guy, don't know anything about this old car except it's very cool.  This is a one owner car with the owners booklet from the glove box in hand.  I need information about this car.  What is it worth?  Where is the vin plate located on this car?  The car was bought to sell because I didn't want to see it scrapped.  I can not find any for sale online and don't know where to turn for information. 

If you want to see pictures or need further information, please email me and I will send you everything I have. Thanks,   Mike 

Comments

• Here is a picture of the license plate.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    edited September 2016

You came to the right place! Lots of advice and encouragement to be had.  The VIN number is on a plate riveted to the right front door jamb. Just open the passenger door and there it is.

Of the Hudsons I have had.. The 53 Super Wasp was the most reliable and fun to drive.  Post as many pics as you can.

Is your goal to sell at a profit or restore and enjoy?

• The car was part of a big lot of tractors, equipment and trailers that have all been stored for years under a carport.  I wish I could say I was going to restore the car, but I have neither the funds or time for such an undertaking.  I have restored old tractors and older Chevrolets and spent many thousands of dollars on them, can't even imagine what a restore on a car like this would cost. 

My father-in-law is that one that actually bought all of this stuff and he is wanting to sell the car.  Just don't know where to begin. 

Mike

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Value, you can ask what ever you want but from a point of reality it is worth about $1,000.

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Being a coup makes it a bit more interesting!
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    One of the key criteria for value, with these old Hudsons, is the condition of the perimeter frame.  Especially around the rear wheel wells and behind.  If the potential buyer looks at that and finds heavy rust, he is going to offer a lot less than you want.  On the other hand, I'd say that a good solid frame will heighten the value of your car.  Mechanicals are rather easily replaced, but bodies and frames can be very expensive to fix.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    More pictures will help get a better idea of value.  Pictures of under the hood, the interior, rear quarter panels, how much sag the doors have.  But as Jon mentioned, the perimeter frame will weigh heavy.

On the positive side, it's a 2 door coupe.  Will bring more interest than a 4 door sedan would.
  • I will go out this weekend and get some better pictures of it, including the items you have mentioned.  As far as the doors, they actually close tighter than my new Chevrolet does, I was blown away by that.  I have not noticed any bad rust spots in the floorboards yet, but have only have limited time with the car.  I will have to put some oil on the hinges so we can get the hood all the way open, I hope to have that done this weekend as well. 

I appreciate the information about the car, thank you. 

mike

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Shame it was left outside with so little mileage on it.  Condition of frame, interior and engine will further ascertain what you might expect to get for it.  As mentioned, being a 2DR will bring better interest.  You should have no problem turning it.  
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    is it 103407 Miles?
  • 3,407 miles.  It has not been tagged or driven since 1956.

• Ducor Kid
    Ducor Kid Expert Adviser
    Where is this car located?
    Larry
  • About 20 miles East of Fort Smith, Arkansas. 

• SuperDave
    sent you a private message
  • barrysweet52
    barrysweet52 Expert Adviser
    Sounds like it was under a very big carport. Wish I had a big one.
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser

Unless there is more paperwork on when it was last driven or registered I would be very leery of the 1956 date.  The 56 plates were used for a number of years.  My 60 Dodge has those plates and just a sticker on the rear plate attesting to the fact it was registered in 60.  Like anything these days more information is always better.  I am just very skeptical of the low miles and the plate assumptions.

Jay  

• If you post some more pics please include one of the clutch and brake pedals. If the rubber is still on them it will tell the story on the mileage.
  • I am simply going off of the information I have as far as the license plate and the mileage that shows on the odometer.  I will take pictures of the pedals as you requested, thanks for the suggestion.  Once again, all I know about this car is from spending about 2 hours trying to load it on a trailer to get it home.  I will have ample pics this weekend. 

mike

• Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Well, l'm sure the speedo has rolled over 100,000 after looking at the pedal wear and rest of the pictures.
    It is a car well worth saving. It would be a big project as it really needs to be taken apart but judging by the lack of rust popping out from the inside, would make someone  good project.
  • SuperDave
    edited October 2016
    Ditto what Kerry said. The brake pad is worn out and then turned around to wear out again!
  • 50C8DAN
    Drop a worked over 308 in it and you have the makings of a great race car.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Kdancy said:
    Well, l'm sure the speedo has rolled over 100,000 after looking at the pedal wear and rest of the pictures.
    It is a car well worth saving. It would be a big project as it really needs to be taken apart but judging by the lack of rust popping out from the inside, would make someone  good project.
    Agreed!
  • 50C8DAN
    That guy's '48 C8 coupe in another thread might be a more worthy project.
  • I spoke to my father in law this weekend and he wants $2500 for the car.  According to the input from you guys and the pictures of the pedals, this car does not have the low mileage as it appears from the odometer pictures.  Mileage is unknown, but overall the car is in good shape for its age.  Price is negotiable, just let me know if interested.  479-459-8019 is my number or if you wish to speak to him, call and I will give you his number. 

Thanks for your help!!

mike

• That Wasp is definitely worth saving, thanks for putting it out there. Hope it finds a good home soon.
This discussion has been closed.