Stepdown outside door handle scratch guards

Hi, i'm looking for outside door handle scratch guards for my 1948 hudson,can you help? call Claude 508 943 1712  thank you.

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    EBay is always a good place to look for these...price is all over the map. Item 201676467696
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    edited September 2016
    They don't normally sell for that. People are getting greedy.   A few years ago, Paul Schuster had a box of these.  Should check with him.  I got my last two from him.  NOS in the box.  Can't remember what I paid, something like $30 for a pair.  
  • Claude, I think I have a pair. I'll bring them to Carl Webers meet tomorrow, If your not going I'll save them for you. Ed Moore
  • RL Chilton
    There are two types, one looks more like the shape of a fish, and the other is squarer-looking.  
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    These are NOS examples of the two commonly used door handle guardsimageimage
  • RL Chilton
    edited October 2016
    Both look good, but I preferred the bottom ones (in the examples from Oldfarmer) and that's what went on my car.  Here's how they look:

• duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Russel  Where did you buy your outside rear view morrors. How do they work.  Ray
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor

Sent a note to Paul a few minutes ago and he is out of them.  Guess I will check with Wildrick. BYB Paul does have the correct mirrors.

• RL Chilton
    edited October 2016

Funny you asked that Duncan, but it takes a story to get there from here.  Back when I was working on the car, I was up at Wildrick’s going through his stacks and scrounging for obscure parts (not mirrors, though).  After several hours, I had located several parts on my “list”, but others I couldn’t locate.  Doug got in on the act and sent me searching through hidden shelving in poorly lit corners of the shop.  Still coming up empty, he decided to help with the search.  He started reaching up well overhead, pulling boxes down just enough to flip open the flaps to see what was inside.  One, in particular, caught my attention.  Shiny chunks of metal all individually wrapped in clear plastic. 

“Hey, what are those!?”, I exclaimed.

“NOS outside mirrors for ’52 Senior Cars,” he remarked casually.

“Oh, yeah?  I know a guy that could really use some of those, you know!”, I said. 

“Well, those aren’t for sale.  I’m keeping those,” he drawled, much to my dismay. 

Six months later, I received a box from Wildrick with a Christmas card inside and a beautiful, NOS side mirror, wrapped in it’s original plastic.  Gleefully, I got on the phone to Doug to thank him, but also making sure I mentioned that as he knew, I had a very small mailbox window in the rear curtain on the car and that necessitated a passenger-side mirror . . . matching one, of course. 

“Good luck with that,” he commented, or some such non-committal remark, as he laughed jokingly, but adamantly enough to know that I was stretching it.  I had a beautiful side mirror, but without a matching mate, one that couldn’t go on the car w/o having a “spotter” riding shotgun, at least when the top was up.

O.k., I told you that story so I could tell you this one:

Fast-forward another 6 months and my Uncle, who is my father’s brother was over at the house one night playing cards when he mentioned he recently went through some of Pop’s (his father, my grandfather) old things and he found a few car parts I might be interested in.  I assured him, sure, bring them over and we’ll take a look at them.  I was pretty sure it was some crappy old pieces of junk that was rusted or corroded beyond mention, but one never knows.  A few days later, he hands me a small box and said, “Pop bought this for his ’53 Hudson, but never put it on before he sold the car”.  Inside, was an identical mirror to the one I got from Doug.  NOS, wrapped in plastic.  I couldn’t believe it.  Not only did I now have a pair, but I also had something my grandfather bought for his Hudson 60 years ago, which was now going on my car. 

So, cool story and yes, they work great, which really wouldn’t have mattered in the end, as they were going on the car regardless.  If you click on the above picture twice, it should blow up and you can see a close-up of the mirror, which is quite handsome, actually.  

• RL Chilton
    Duncan-

Sent you a PM.  
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    Thanks Russel  We are looking for a pair for our 54 Hornet Hollywood which is getting the out of province inspection done. Then I can get it registered and our new plates. Finally after 15 years.  Ray
  • hudsonsplasher1
    hudsonsplasher1 Senior Contributor
    Both look good, but I preferred the bottom ones (in the examples from Oldfarmer) and that's what went on my car.  Here's how they look:

Beautiful car. love the color combo.

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I know old thread..

Russell - Loved the story on finding the mirrors and how cool is it that you got a piece of grandpa's history on that?!
  • RL Chilton
    Thanks, Dan.  Yes, very cool.  This car actually ended up having quite a few stories related to it.  Here's another one about falling into finding parts for it (going back to the OP's thread):

https://openforum.hetclub.org/discussion/170803/talk-about-a-coincidence-or-karma#latest 
This discussion has been closed.