1928 Super Six pics.

It's a beautiful day, and I'm tidying up a few loose ends in the shed. Got plenty to do, but in an attempt to lite a fire to get back into my 28 Hudson, I took some artsy pics. Now I'm kicking myself for selling my spare 29 engine, which had a perfect sight glass. Any ideas what I could use to replace it with?

Comments

• Here's where the glass tube sight glass should be.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jeff, where did the '29 engine go to?  I have some plastic tubing which can be used for the sight glass, but you will have to make up the cork float and wire.
    Geoff 
  • I sold it to Brian from Oxford. Can't recall his last name, but figure you'll know him. I have heard he recently moved to Blackball. If you still have those wheels you mentioned last year, let me know what you would take for them, and I'll make a better effort this Summer to get it sorted.
  • Looking good kiwijeff, what body style is the 28?
  • Eden29 said:
    Looking good kiwijeff, what body style is the 28?
    Thanks, it's a long way away from being anything, as I have a cowl in great Condition, but nothing else. It was a Coupe, and I've started on a plan, of building a Speedster. I purchased a 39 Terraplane hood, for the Boat tail rear, but in order to do it nice, I would need to section the cowl through the center, and it's far to nice, to cut up. So I'm kinda stuck for now, like the engine. My plan for now, is to restore what I have, and see where that leeds. My 29 Hudson bodied Hot Rod, sits along side the 28 in my shed, and I sure like having a 28, and 29 next to each other, although the 29 is Hudson, only in the body, which was built from a rusty Sedan, that no one wanted.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    A couple of nicely restored Hudson chassis' from the 20's plus spare parts may be coming up in Canterbury. They are an abandoned Speedster project.
    Here's a nice one (ex NZ) for encouragement
  • That's very nice. I did see a Speedster project on Trade Me, that the builder had lost interest in. My biggest problem is cash flow, I own my own business, but it's very up and down. I also am a caregiver to my two flatmates, and that eats a lot of time, but on the other hand, it also gives me time to play in the shed. I have to many toys.
  • A little story. This project came without rear leaf springs. I found a wooden farm trailer for sale on Trade Me, our equivalent to eBay. It was advertised as a V8 Hudson, and I could see in the pics, an old Hudson hubcap on a 37 Ford wheel, that trailer Sat on. So I bid fifty dollars, and won it. Once it arrived, I saw an old Hudson front axle under it, with the Ford wheels adapted. Both wheels had Hudson hubcaps under the Ford wide five caps, so I thought I'd done well. Anyway, I didn't know what the leaf springs were, so got hold of Geoff C, and he told me rear springs were same size from 24 up to 29. I measured em up, and sure enough, they fit the rear of the 28. Pretty cool for my fifty dollar purchase. The wooden trailer made excellent firewood, because as it had a wooden chassis, it would not be able to be made legal anyway. I had the springs blasted, and they fit perfect.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Jeff, I have several '29 wood wheels in good order, plus a set of Biddle & Smart doors.   Quitting allmy  super Stuff now.   Please do not let anything  else go to the gentleman(?) who has just moved to your area,  he is a magpie.   And keep your shed locked!
    Geoff 
  • kiwijeff said:
    It's a beautiful day... Now I'm kicking myself for selling my spare 29 engine, which had a perfect sight glass. Any ideas what I could use to replace it with?
    Hope u mean full engine.
    I would go nasty. Big turbo Cummin's diesel, some big dually truck tires out the back, a nice lil 4 or 5 inch chop to that roof. In the end i really think the old  Hudson would be a top in show car and really be a benifit to NZ roads. ^^
    hmm extend the chassis as well. 

Art on wheels.

Anyone car restore a car. Takes a real man to cut it up.

Alex

• Jeff, I have several '29 wood wheels in good order, plus a set of Biddle & Smart doors.   Quitting allmy  super Stuff now.   Please do not let anything  else go to the gentleman(?) who has just moved to your area,  he is a magpie.   And keep your shed locked!
    Geoff 
    I'll give you a ring in next day or so. I was broke at the time, and he got lucky. My shed is always locked, I have cameras on it, and it's down a long driveway, near my bedroom. I also have a two ton 4x4 I park in front of it.
  • KK. I'm not into rat rods, I have seen his show, and I detest stinky deseasals. I don't mind looking at his creations, some are well done, but once they start belching stinkin sooty smoke, I'm sure glad I'm on this end of the screen. I'm more into traditional hot rods, and factory racers. I also don't watch to much pulp tv car shows, it's scripted rubbish, where as Motornation on Netflix is car shows made by car people, for car people. Much more real.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I had several site tubes made 35+ years ago. And I found one when I was clearing out my garage. If you still need it let me know and we can work out a price. Now all I have to do is figure out where I put the thing.......hmmmmmmm. Lew Mendenhall
  • EssexAdv said:
    I had several site tubes made 35+ years ago. And I found one when I was clearing out my garage. If you still need it let me know and we can work out a price. Now all I have to do is figure out where I put the thing.......hmmmmmmm. Lew Mendenhall
    Sounds good to me.
This discussion has been closed.