28 Essex Clutch

I drove my car a couple times since I bought it last year. It had very little power, which I assumed was expected. However, when the clutch is fully disengaged and I give it gas the car revs disproportionately as if the clutch is partially engaged. Again, I assumed this was how the car drives. On my way home the transmission wasn't responding as I applied the gas. I was unable to get up the last hill. On a flat surface the car will move slightly, but it doesn't have enough power to get up to speed or to go up a hill. It is acting like the clutch is almost fully engaged. I know there is an adjustment on the clutch, but before I tamper with it I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue. I've attached a picture of the shifter finger and plate with the clutch disengaged. Not sure if it is currently in the proper position (I.e., fully disengaged).

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How much free play do you have ( distance between pedal and floor)?   If you have free play and the clutch is still slipping your clutch disc needs re-corking.
    Geoff 
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I'm sure Geoff Clark may be able to straighten things out, when he reads this.

When you're driving up a hill will the engine start to run faster, even though the car is still plodding along?  That would say "slipping clutch" to me. 

Do you know if the clutch has the requisite amount of Hudsonite in it?
  • I put 85-140 gear oil in the clutch based on another page on the forum. Not sure exactly what you mean by free play. The clutch pedal moves about a foot (from fully disengaged to the floor). There isn't really any free play... it always has resistance. However, before the problem got worse the first inch the clutch pedal was engaged seemed to be enough to apply it fully.
  • Actually I used ATF not gear oil.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Which ATF? Dextron is what I use. I've others suggest not to use the GM ATF

Dave Y
    28 Essex Coupe
  • I used Dextron.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's possible that you have put too much ATF in the clutch, which would make it slip. You must  fill only to the level when the filler plug is at the bottom.   By free play, I mean the distance from when the pedal is  resting against the floor board, and it starts to  disengage the clutch.  The first inch or so there should be no resistance at all until the fingers contact the thrust bearing.    You must use only GM Dexron 3 ATF. 
  • I made sure the filler plug was at the bottom when I filled it. I used a generic Dextron ATF. The salesman said it was the same as Dextron 3. I'll check the free play and post back with an update.
  • Huddy42
    Huddy42 Senior Contributor
    Blaine, I noticed in an earlier post here where you said you put 85/140 gear oil in the clutch.??? If this is the case,far too heavy,wonder the car moved at all.
  • I misspoke. I put in Dextron ATF. I put gear oil in the transmission.
  • There does not seem to be any free play at all. The petal moves about a foot from the floor board up. From the time the clutch petal is initially pushed to the time it reaches the floor board there is always tension and movement of the thrust yoke.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just trying to think this thing out (I'm not a mechanic, but a Hudson Philosopher).

Without a bit of freeplay (when you first step on the clutch pedal), you can't be sure that the clutch disc itself is fully engaged with the plate.  If you adjust the clutch so there is some initial freeplay, that means that the clutch disc is "fully engaged, for sure".

Without the assurance of freeplay before the yoke starts to move, the yoke could already be pushing the clutch disc away from the pressure plate -- even without your even touching the pedal.  Thus, there would be a bit of slippage between the two.

Which could explain why the engine revs when going up a hill  but you aren't moving as fast as you could.
  • I agree with your logic. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much room left to adjust it in the direction necessary. Regardless, I am going to try. The only problem is that I have a steep driveway and small garage. I will have to get the car towed up the driveway if it doesn't work. I am really hoping I don't have to re-cork the clutch. That sounds like a huge pain.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, of course if you don't want to spend the time, you can always order a rebuilt one...
  • Any suggestions where to look for a rebuilt clutch?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Sure, try Wildrick.  I am not sure whether he has them in stock, but I believe he can rebuild them.  Check out his website, and give them a ring.  http://wildrickrestorations.com/hudson-wet-clutch-parts.html

• I made some adjustments to the clutch until there was free play and the car still behaves as if the clutch is stuck partially on.  I guess its time to take it apart.  At least I was able to drive it once.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    Ron Fellows also supplies re-corked clutches & advertises in WTN
This discussion has been closed.