Axle Nut Thread Count

Hello All:
According  to the '53 parts manual there are 2 different part no. for the rear axle shaft & 2 different part no. for the axle nuts. Is it possible that the thread count for the different axle shafts & nuts are different? If they are different does anyone have the thread count for them? I know they are not 3/4"x16, I'm thinking they might be 3/4"x18 but need confirmation.

thanks

J Lombard

Comments

• They are 3/4-20, "Extra-Fine" (SU axles may differ but I don't know). The large hex size is possibly a special Hudson thing. I have bought 3/4-20 "Axle Nuts" from a local fastener supplier, described as for "GM", but I'd bet a buck it's intended for front spindles on some applications.

F

'

• ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    A castellated version of that size as used on the diff of an Essex 4 is available from Rock Auto
  • I find only the spark plug under all years of the Essex 4. Can you give us a link to the RA item or some way  to find it?

Frank

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The rear axle nut (for the Jet anyway)  is the same as used on Australian Holden cars for the front  hub nut, the one that  holds the bearing washer in place.  I went to the trouble to have a new nut machined at great cost, when I could have just gone to the G.M.  dealer and got one for a few dollars!
    Geoff 
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    See spindle nuts for 1956 OLDSMOBILE SUPER 88

From Rock Auto catalog:
    DORMAN 615065 {#378137, 6150651} Thread: 3/4"-20; Hex: 1-1/16"; Height: 1/2; Contents: General Motors Info
    Front; Thread Size: 3/4-20

Worked for my diff

This discussion has been closed.