Greetings

Hi, My name is Bill Bateson from Bendigo Australia. I have owned a 1953  Hudson Hornet for a 18 months or so now. This came about because my father owned several Hudson's in the 50's and he declared them his favourite car. I'm one of 9 children and we all piled into the Stepdowns with ease. I was able to take my father for a drive in my Hudson and you couldn't get the smile off his face, but sadly we lost him a few months later aged 91 years. I look forward to enjoying my Hudson for many years to come.

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor

Well, welcome aboard.  There are several guys in Australia and NZ with Hudsons.  They'll probably jump on here soon.  I'm in NY State N. Of Albany.  Sold my 52 Hornet but have driven my 49 Commadore and my 47 Pickup today.

How about a pic of your 53

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Hi Bill, and welcome.  I am in N.Z. and also have a '53 Hornet, r.h.d., assembled in South Africa.  Is your car r.h.d.?  I understand that Hornets were not sold in Oz for some reason, but the Step-downs that were, all  had much local componentry in them, and differ in details from the American assembled cars.    I also have a '54 Jet, which again were not sold in Oz, as they were too expensive compared to the Holden.   Enjoy your  Hornet.
    Geoff 
  • Photo attached.

I am currently looking for a starter motor as mine is smashed at the drive end of head assembly. I have tried welding it but didn't last long. My car has 308 motor and is auto. I believe my internals are OK but need to replace housing. Car was converted to 12 volt by previous owner. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
  • Hi Geoff
    Car is LHD imported from states about 5 years ago.
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Lots of resources for Hudson parts in the White Triangle News.  Are you a member of the Hudson Essex Terraplane Club?

John

• Yes John I am a member but haven't had a good look yet but will do so.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Contact Lance Walker for the starter nose xxxxxhornetllw@yahoo.com yank off the multiple xxx s
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Bill,I am not an expert in 12 volt conversions but I believe that the 6v starters break their "nose cones" when used with 12 volts.... unless the starters are modified for 12v use.
  • Hi Bill, welcome. Great story! I have a 54 Hornet and live in the Dandenongs, so if you're in the area drop by :)
This discussion has been closed.