chevy/gm driveshaft to hudson rear axle

hey all,

There is a good swap meet on Sunday and I am making my list of possible parts to hunt for.  

I located a solid running chevy 250 as a backup plan in case my Hudson 8 needs a rebuild.  I will need a driveshaft.  Since the Hudson is a 2 piece I am wondering what makes the most sense.  Do I look for a chevy 2 piece and hook the front part of the Chevy to the rear Hudson (may need to get Checy one cut to length).  Or look for a 1 piece chevy/GM and find an adapter to mate to the Hudson axle.  OR look for an adapter to mate the stock axle to the Chevy - that may be "Easiest" but it could also necessitate cutting the original axle to length to work with the chevy 250 and I do not want to do that as I will eventually put the Hudson engine back in.

I am "guessing" that finding a 2 piece GM/Chevy shaft and mating it to the Hudson rear driveshaft is the best option.  I have no prob getting a GM axle cut to length.  could even weld on a replacement ujoint for a Hudson which are avail at wildricks.  

thanks all

- jason

Comments

• 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Finish install then measure and have made. Done
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    If it's the U-joints you  are wiorried about, have no fear - Hudson uses the same u-joint as the Chevy
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    "Trick" U-joints are available too, to joint dissimilar connections. Tricky part is figuring out what each side is.
  • Kdancy
    Kdancy Senior Contributor
    Well, I had hoped this project would not go that direction. I personally don't know of anyone that once has done a driveline change, has gone back to the original setup. But, after all, it's your car!
  • jrenda
    jrenda Member
    thanks all - and Kdancy the decision has not been made yet!!  Taking the time to try and make sure the Hudson will start first!!

this is only if the 8 needs a total rebuild.  I want to keep it stock but as I have said I also need it to be driveable for a whole host of reasons (I may not be in my garage too much longer).  So having a driver that I can rebuild the engine for vs. a land yacht that has a lot of my cash absorbed isn't really an option.  I believe I have researched this thoroughly and if there is a swp to be done the 250 chevy is the least intrusive - so that i CAN put the Hudson 8 back in.  there have been a couple Hudson engines on ebay but shipping was prohibitive or it was no shipping at all.  I'm still hunting but I am under a time frame (not imposed by me!!!)).  So trying to balance keeping it stock vs getting it running to meet external requirements.

- jason
This discussion has been closed.