Hudson dealer sign

Kdancy
Kdancy Senior Contributor
Just got this Hudson dealer sign and wondering if anyone has picture of one in good shape. This used to be neon lighted.
Looks like it hung from both ends and is double sided. Doesn't have the Triangle image I've seen on most.
http://s294.photobucket.com/user/studebaker2/library/Hudson dealer Neon sign?sort=3&page=1
I'm debating on restoring it with the neon tubes.

Comments

• That thing is awesome!  If you could retube it... I would... but I'd leave the paint.  

- Ray
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Yeah, my first impression is that you should leave the paint and "patina" since it adds to the authenticity, but definitely redo the neon.because that is a separate thing.  Is there any way to clean up the finish (you could try various solvents off in a corner somewhere, in case they remove the paint itself).  Once it's been repainted there's no going back, and -- if you really want to do a complete refinish, you can always do that.  Kind of like finding a "barn car" with all the original finishes and upholstery; once it's painted and reupholstered, it's not as authentic as before.

The sign is interesting.  Don't recall ever seeing a photo of one like this.  The right side seems "finished" while the left side ends rather abruptly.  Almost like this was the second half of the sign.  But what would the first half have said?  "Essex"?  "Terraplane"?  "City Motors"?
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Kerry

That is Awesome! And HUGE. I vote for leaving like it is and add neon
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    That's really cool.  But where's the story?  Where did it come from?
  • 33kc1989
    33kc1989 Senior Contributor
    Nice find and like others said leave paint as is.
  • Kdancy
    I h been unable to ID this sign and would like to before spending money to have the neon put back on.
    Anyone have some insight into when this was used?
  • Kdancy
    edited September 2016
    Just received a note from David Waddell about the Hudson sign ID.
    note--

The only time I saw one like that was in Selma Alabama back in 1951-52. There was a small "Service station" on highway  80 just East of the Edmond Pettus Bridge.(sp?) Hudson had small "dealerships" That were only required to have one new car in stock as a demonstrator. The were called "Service Stations". My father bought a 51 Super Six  Brougham there in late 51.

The sign hung on a horizontal pipe from those bent up hooks on each end. When they started using them ? I dunno.

• RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Kerry-

I'm sure Dave is on the right track.  Is it two-sided?  Like Jon, said, it either looked like there was another part of the sign to the left, or it might have been that the left hand side butted up against a wall of a building.  If it was two-sided, that would make sense.  

One other observation, is the font of the letters.  I've never seen that font associated with HMCC.  Signs that were distributed by HMCC used a more universal, block-styled font.  That makes me believe your sign was probably more locally made, just the type that a small dealer/service station might likely use.  
  • Kdancy
    edited September 2016
    It is two sided with a hanger on both ends. The block style on the sign matches what I've seen on other Hudson signs.
  • kiwijeff
    kiwijeff Member
    edited September 2016
    That is very cool. A member on the Hamb found a large dealership one that needed restoring. Another members job was making neon signs, and if I'm correct, he said it would cost between 1500$ and 2500$, to rebuild. It's what inspired me to buy my modern Hudson neon, I posted here a few months back.
  • lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Looks hand painted to me. Here's a sample of similar sign.
  • railknight
    railknight Expert Adviser

Looked though my "Standard and Approved Hudson Dealer Signs" catalog from 1-54 and didn't see any illustrations that match the sign seen here. 

• Kdancy

Our son, Zach, was looking over some old issues of the WTN and I'm positive the
    Hudson sign is in this picture.
    I can barely see the holes for the fluorescent lights.
    It was at a meet in Melbourne at the Waddell Wheel Ranch.    WTN is the
    July/August 1982 issue.  Page 11
      note from David Waddell -- I forgot about that one! I think he got that in Georgia from a dealer that went out of business in 1957
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Sure looks like a match.  
This discussion has been closed.