some progress made and a couple more questions on cleaning 48 Commodore coupe

jrenda
jrenda Member
good morning all!

After 6 plus hours and 5 kitchen bags filled with animal nests and junk, i have the interior of the 48 Coupe stripped bare.  I've removed the seats, headliner, all the doorcards front and rear, etc.  I'd like to clean it with some Nature's Miracle and then need a plan to give the floors, roof and doors a simple spray paint to both seal them and give them a bit of color until I have the real upholstery done.

What I need help with is:
- how do i remove the window cranks?  I can push in on the inside of the cranks and there seems to be a pin or something in the crank itself?  This is for the big windows and the rear windows, not the vent windows as those came off with a simple removal of a screw.

- for the roof, once i got the headliner off the roof is in great shape.  Im planning on lightly wire wheeling it to get any residue off and then prime it and then hit it with some sort of color.  

- for the floor I want to seal it after making 2 small rust repairs.  It's in great shape overall.  My question is should I wire wheel the whole thing or can I simply give it a thorough cleaning, vacuum up any dust etc and then use a rust inhibitor on it.  

None of this is for true final product.  But as I need to focus on the main items like brakes and wiring etc I want the interior to be clean enough that I can work in it without the need for a tetanus shot.  I expect the interior to be a labor of love over the next period of time so I'd like to get the floor done well the first time.  Eventually there wil be carpet and a real headliner but for now I just want it clean and to get rid of the 70s years of dust smell.  

Thank you all and have a great Memorial day.

- jason

Comments

• Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Push the pin out with a nail or punch and the handle will come off.
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    FYI
    Sounds like you have your priorities in order. Clean & prep tghe inside as good as you want with the tools & budget you have then focus on the more important mechanicals,
  • pseftoncomcastnet
    pseftoncomcastnet Senior Contributor

Don't wire-wheel the sealant/sound-deadener compound that's used to coat the floor and other surface. I had mine tested and it contains a significant amount of asbestos.

Peter Sefton

This discussion has been closed.