49 convert

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited May 2016 in Vehicles
Is that really Kay Amman's 49 commodore 8 convertible on Ebay?  162070898303 seems like a low price..Hmm.

Comments

• PaulButler
    PaulButler Administrator
    Here's the link to the eBay item : 1949 Hudson
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Yes, it is.  Still has "Kay's '49 Hudson" on the front plates.  
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    Speculation somewhere (Facebook?) else was the person selling it bought it for around $20k.
  • SuperDave
    OMG  I wonder how that happened..
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Larry Kennedy says it is not as nice as it looks on the pictures
  • SuperDave
    If it's the one I saw at Pontiac.....  Maybe not
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Those are pictures taken at Amman place.
  • SuperDave
    My reason for bring this up is. Many years ago, A 49 C8 convertible showed up on EBay.  Location-Iowa.. I recognized a few tell tale details and was sure I had owned the car at one time. I wrote a message to the seller asking a few questions and mentioned that I was sure I had owned this car at one time. The ad immediately disappeared along with the sellers ID. I had little doubt the pictured had been Hi-Jacked and someone was trying to sell a car they probably did not poses.  So when I saw this ad, My curiosity peaked.
  • SuperDave
    edited May 2016
    No Bids , Didn't sell.  Starting bid was $37,500. The seller did not send me or post the vin number as I requested.
  • bull_islander
    bull_islander Expert Adviser
    I asked a simple question as well.  No response.  Certainly more than a little fishy with no current photos or contact info.
  • hudsonjeff
    hudsonjeff Senior Contributor
    I asked if it was the same car that sold in mich last fall?  The response  was the car came from south carolina to which my response was " it is the same car and you should at least take your own pictures"    Didnt here anything back
  • SuperDave
    Veeeery interesting.
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    It is back on Ebay
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    edited May 2016
    I sent the guy a message and he responded

"

can you post some current pictures of the car so I know that you actually have the car in your possession. The pictures you show are from a previous auction and no where near Iowa or South Carolina. This car is fairly well known in the Hudson community as is the long time owner of the car

His response

I can. Look at my feedback. I'm I new nissan Hyundai BMW ford dealer in dubuque Iowa. I have about 50 classics. 7 Hudson's. Your welcome to come view anytime. I am a member of hte and have gone to national meet for years. If your interested call me 5635905923 Doug. I know the car is well known because I get 20 emails a day wanting to visit about it. Only reason I'm selling is I picked up a 308 twin h after I bought this.

• SuperDave
    I heard that it sold yesterday for a little over 40K .. I didn't have it in my saved searches, so didn't see it. Anyone know who what etc. ?
  • Rocket
    Rocket Senior Contributor
    it sold for $40,500 auction said reserve met
  • Frankvintagefullflowcom
    Frankvintagefullflowcom Senior Contributor
    Let's see if the deal sticks.
  • I have my 49 just put on forum
  • SuperDave
    The subject Convert. in Iowa went to a buyer in florida. I have seen it and it was one helluva bargain!
  • Look up "cynic" in your dictionary (or on your I-thing). You'll see my picture beside it.

F

• SuperDave

Frank,

I went with the buyer to pick the car up. drove it myself.  Then offered my friend, the buyer, mine in an even trade! Of course he declined! It is a nice car. The seller was bit unorthodox? Why it was so cheap? I have no clue. I am still scratching my head over what happened. But I was there.

Here is a pic in the buyers driveway.

• Dave,

Looks nice from here! I expect to pay twice that (don't tell anybody that) to restore our '48 C-8. I think I'll be lucky to do even that well.

F

• SuperDave

Frank,

I feel your pain.I paid 44K for mine from Herb Bell's estate.  Spent another 12 k or more on mostly mechanical stuff. Did all my own work except the machine shop work. love the car but  family health issues dictate it has to go. Just put it on Craig's list here on the space coast. asking 55k and  the silence is deafening!  From what I have been seeing on EBay.. I may have to part it out .  LOL

. I will try to keep the 49 Two door fun car. It's like the "Johnny Cash  car." 1949,50, 51, 52, 53 HUDSON.

Both are in my avatar.

• A '49 Brougham, eh? I was born in a '48 S-6 Brougham and have always hoped to stumble across a free one in perfect shape.....still waiting.

That's Mom and me @ 2 months  in front of the '48. Cute, aren't I? (best you don't answer that one).

F

This discussion has been closed.