Tire sizes for a '54 Jet street rod?

I've got some 15X6  Hurst wheels for the front of my 308 powered Jet. What would be a good size for the front tires? What's the largest size that would fit on the rear? Don't really want to do any cutting on the rear fender wells. I haven't bought the rear wheels yet, can get either 15X6 or 15X7.  Getting ready to start on the front end too, rebuilding with new/N.O.S. parts but switching to disc brakes and using KYB Gas-A-Just shocks.  Thanks, David

Comments

• Ric West IN
    Ric West IN Senior Contributor
    David,    The original wheels for the Jet were 15"x 4.5".  These wheels used a 5.90 or 6.40 15" tire.
    My Dad ran 6.70x15 tires on his Jet, as the "looked better and lasted longer". Only one problem,on  a full turn in either direction  the tires rubbed, either the sway bar or the fender.  Don't see how you can use wider
    wheels  without changing out the suspension.

"Ric"
  • StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    Its just not that simple.   Is this the original axle?   If it is a "hot rod"  you need a stronger rear end.  So how wide is the rear end.   Now there are variations in back spacing as well as width of the wheel.  Both determine where the tire will end up.  Thats a total of three variables.  Not all tires of the same size have the same dimensions varying by brand and by the line within each brand.  FIVE variables now.   What final revolutions of the tire per mile do you want to have for the gearing and the driveline you have.  That's SEVEN variations.  
    Building a hot rod is more than bolting on cool wheels and tires.
  •    You are entirely correct, there is a LOT more to building a hot rod than sticking cool wheels and tires on it. I was simply asking what others might have used successfully on a Jet. The car will have a Ford 9" with 3.70 gear ratio, mainly because that's what I have to use. The housing will be narrowed to fit the Jet, probably keeping the stock leaf spring spacing. The car will have a modified GM TH200-4R automatic that my friend had built for his El Camino but instead used a 5 speed. I got a good deal on it, traded labor working on his shop for it. Was planning on using a GM overdrive transmission anyway, just saved money. Camshaft choice is still undecided. Exhaust will be custom built headers and intake is a Clifford intake with a FiTech fuel injection system.
          I am using the Hurst wheels because I think they look good on the car, they are similar to the ones my brother ran on his '55 Bel Air.
    The Hurst 15X6 wheels have 3.50 backspacing, the 15X7 have 3.98. I was hunting a good set of original Hurst wheels but they are hard to find and HIGH. I found new ones for $109 and decided to get them.  It took me 5 years to find a good 2 door Jet to build. Has taken a while to find a good '55 block to build. It will end up being LOTS more expensive to build the 308 rather than swapping a newer engine in, just want to go with the 308. I am hoping to have it ready for the 2018 H.E.T. Nationals in Wisconsin.   Thanks,David
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I'm running 14 x 5.5" on my jet - the standard wheel from a '66-'67 Dodge Cornet w/6.50 x 14 bias ply tires.  Don't have any clearance problems at the rear with factory skirts, and no rubbing of  the suspension or the inner or outer fenders on the front.
  • Thanks for the information Jerry. Finally getting all the pieces together so I can get started on the Jet.   David
This discussion has been closed.