Vacuomatic Clutch

I'm trying to help a friend with a 48 Commodore 6.  It has been sitting several years and has a stuck clutch.  I am following the recommended drill to remedy that.  Attached is a picture of the vacuomatic clutch linkage.  Linkage appears to be in working order and feels good as clutch is operated.  From the picture does it appear OK?

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Possibly someone will chime in on this, though I'm not sure that a visual inspection would reveal any problems with the vacuum clutch.

More importantly you have said that the clutch itself is stuck (a common problem on Hudsons which have sat for a long time).  The Vacumotive Drive wouldn't have anything to do with the clutch's sticking.  Though in order to fully manipulate the clutch, you might want to disconnect the Vacumotive linkages so you have more positive control.

You have said you're following the recommended drill, which of course is to fill the clutch with a solvent, then "work" the clutch pedal and rotate the engine from time to time, in order to make sure the solvent gets absorbed by all parts of the cork clutch disc (as well as to keep putting pressure on the disc to release it).

I would think that the vacuum clutch would be a hindrance to this process so, again, I would think you should disconnect the linkage.  Then you can just tromp the clutch with your foot. It's a much more positive action.

But, stay tuned because someone will jump in here with a more accurate answer.  With luck, that person will have experienced a stuck clutch on his Vacumotive-equipped Hudosn, and can give you better advice than I can!
This discussion has been closed.