50 Super 6 progress

Hi all, Making glacially slow progress on my Super6 Brougham. Got the trans pulled and clutch is out, will be on its way to Doug Wildrick for refreshing. I have need of some parts for the car... --Rear springs. I have a cracked leaf on the left spring. I see Kanters has a listing for new springs..anyone else sell em? --left front fender "Super 6" emblem. Mines missing. Also, if anyone has a pic of a 50 Super6 Brougham, side view, showing what ther trim looks like, that would be awesome. Thanks, Jase

Comments

• Awesome. I prefer to support the Hudson type vendors first. Also, need a picture of how the spring for the secondary hood latch (hook) is installed. Cannot find a pic or diagramme in my parts book.
  • jase, I have the parts you need. Ken indicates new springs would be good. I would normally agree with Ken but not in this case. A few years ago I was going to buy new springs from the OEM  Detroit Eaton. When I talked to the man he told me not to buy them from him! I asked why and he said that in today's world , you cannot get the came thicknesses of spring steel that were available back when Hudsons were new. Today's steels are thicker , largely for truck and commercial applications.The thinner spring stocks are not around any longer. They can make Hudson rear springs if you want them but with fewer leaves and a much harsher ride. They will also ride higher so your car sits at a raked angle. This is from the man who makes them  not me. Very recently a friend of mine restored a LaSalle and had new springs made for it. It now rides higher in the back and just dosen't look right. He said he just had some made... by Detroit Eaton...... Call me at 704 seven Nine two 9110.
  • So, ended up sending the trans off to Dr Doug and his team for refreshing as well, since the rail or whatever the range cable hooks to was corroded solid. At this time, I find I must give a report on my dealings with Dr Doug and Wildricks Restoration. Quite simply, OUTSTANDING in all areas. They were very quick to communicate with me, and actually beat their time estimate to get the trans overhauled, and get the clutch parts and about $500 of rubber parts and the trans all shipped back to me. The trans I sent to them was an oil, grease, and dirt encrusted lump. What I received back literally looked factory fresh. I'm impatiently waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so I can get the trans back in and perhaps take a quick test drive. :)
  • Question for the masses, when putting the clutch cover gasket on, have y'all had better luck putting it on dry, or spraying High Tack or the like on?
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

I think I remember Dr Doug's recommendation being #2 Permatex both sides of gasket.

Kim

• Wow, just realized I haven't posted the latest updates on the 50 Super 6. She runs, drives, and stops all on her own now!!! I did put a couple vids on the Facebook page, if anyone wants I can repost them here. Still need to redo all the weatherstripping and a million other details.... But I am super happy about the progress so far. The next couple weeks will be moving into a new shop, of mine own, with a lift, so super thrilled about that as well. No more "borrowing" friends lifts and working by their schedules....  ;)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Pictures PLEASE
  • Pics.... washing a few years of bird crap from my storage building off her....

This discussion has been closed.