After market 12v fuel gauge

I converted my '49 262 to 12v and would like to use a 12v SW type gauge set.
What should I look for as far as the OHM rating in order to use the original sending unit?
Thanks

Comments

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The static resistance of the new OEM sender is 74 ohms full and 13 ohms empty. The OEM sender is a King Seely unit that uses a voltage chopping Insturment Voltage Regulator IRV. Go to my website http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Select fuel systems on the left side of the front page. On the Fuel Systems page there are several pages of information on sending unit operation.
  • Not having the tank down, I am not familiar with the setup (diameter, depth etc) of my '49 tank. If I switch to a gauge that is 0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full, does this sender look like it could be used?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-type-Fuel-level-sender-Universal-6-24-adjustable-0-90-ohms-/260933871251?hash=item3cc0dee693:m:mR270vKy-8UzxX8-NoGSmCA&vxp=mtr
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The stock tank will only allow use of a sender like the OEM sender in the picture. See my website for descriptions about what the electro mechanical aspects.
  • airbrushguy
    airbrushguy Member
    edited November 2015
    Not able to get 12v gauge with the stock senders' OHM specs.
    Would this unit work? What is it about the stock tank that prevents me from adapting this unit

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Fuel-Level-Gauge-with-Sender-2-1-16-Inch-Black,139831.html

to it?
    Thanks
  • Let me clarify: 
    I am not using the stock gauges. I would like to use chrome bezel, 2 1/16" gauges with black faces and white lettering...12volt.
    So I need a sending unit that will fit and work in the Hudson tank and still work with a Stewart Warner, Autometer Equus etc type gauge.
    Has anyone done this and if so, what worked?
    Thanks
  • Ken U-Tx said:
    Will I need a voltage reducer if I use this with the original sending unit?
    Thanks
  • Ken U-Tx said:
    Oldfarmer says the resistence is 74 ohms full and 13 ohms empty, but this SW gauge says it's range is 73 ohms empty, 10 ohms full. Isn't that the opposite of what I need?
    Sorry for my confusion, thanks for your patience.
  • Thank you Kenneth.
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Ken U-Tx said:
    I am sure Oldfarmer has it backwards. The Hudson gauge uses a thermostatic fuel gauge, so the the needle is at Empty when the bimetallic spring is cold, in other words there is maximum resistance when the tank is empty. When tank is full, there is minimum resistance, thus more current flows from the sending unit to the gauge, making the bimetallic spring expand from the increased heat and swinging the needle the way right to the Full mark.

===========================================================================

As Ken U-Tx stated,  I reversed the restistance values when I posted.  Sorry for the confusion.  I did remeasure the resistance of a new OEM sender as well as a new Dennis Carpenter sender today.  The OEM is indeed 13 ohms when at the full range of the tank sender and 74 ohms when at registering empty.   The Carpenter sender readings were 13.7 ohms full and 124 ohms empty.   

A recently removed OEM sender had failed the empty end of the test but still registered 13.7 ohms at the full end of the resistance swing.

Quoting the maintenance manual...
    With the tank empty, the float holds the slide reostat (variable resistor) at the maximum resistance causing the guage to read empty (E).  With the tank full, the slide reostat is moved to the minium resistance point causing the gauge to read full...

• JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    How do you take the old gauge out of the old dash unit (in particular the glass and chrome bezel)?  In addition, the dimensions on the old gauge appear to be 2" in diameter.  

• JasonNC said:
    How do you take the old gauge out of the old dash unit (in particular the glass and chrome bezel)?  In addition, the dimensions on the old gauge appear to be 2" in diameter.  

Jason, if you're referring to my situation, I have removed old gauges and replaced them with 4 aftermarket gauges. I tried my best to get them to blend in.
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    That's slick.  Did you use the original dash and modify it to include the two new gauges?  Are the two green lights directional signals?  

• Yes to both, then woodgrained it.
This discussion has been closed.