STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE HOSES--STEPDOWN

Is there a supplier that sells these hoses??  Have a Hydraulic Co here that will make the hoses for me. Must have the old hoses to make sure all is the same. Can be supplied with clear plastic over the SS or I can put black shrink tubing over the mesh SS hoses {before crimp} if I want them not to look stainless.

Would like to price these if a vendor sells prior to my going local; always best to compare.

Thanks

R

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The term "hoses" usually refers to the flex hoses at each front wheel and at the rear axle.  You're referring to the steel lines in the system . . .  right?
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2015

No, Park, referring to the flex hoses. three reqd. Makes brake pedal extremely hard (but I am using DOT5, so 'hard' is subjective).   "Racing" stuff.

But you can make them look original with the shrink tubing {before last crimp-on banjo}, if desired.

• Has Teflon tubing inside the Stainless Steel braid.
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    I suppose I'll ask the obvious, so firstly,  why would anyone want to put on stainless steel braided hoses on a step-down  . . . . and secondly, cover them up . . . to make them look original?  Wouldn't just putting on the originals to begin with negate the trouble in the first place?

Or does that have something to do with the silicone? 
  • 53jetman
    53jetman Senior Contributor
    I've used DOT 5 brake fluid for at least 38 years with good old regular rubber flex hoses on my cars with absolutely now problems. 
  • Have read that the compressibility of DOT5 was greater; but still it is subjective.

I want SS hoses for the pride of having them plus they might help pedal hardness that is desirable to me. 

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2015

Russell, different strokes !!! 

• StillOutThere
    StillOutThere Expert Adviser
    RichardD wants the best possible hoses on his car.  Racing quality.  He is looking for a SOURCE.  Instead he is getting criticism.  

Richard, I support your quest but sorry I don't know where you can find them already made for a Hudson.   Have your local guy make them and you'll have exactly the finished product you desire.
  • RL Chilton
    I think you're wrong, Wayne.  That's not criticism, it's a question.  Learn to analyze what you read.    
  • RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2015
    Why does my '53 have Disk Brakes, why Air Conditioning, why 12 Volts, why Power Steering, why Hazard Lites, why Radials, why 1.125" Anti-sway bar, etc etc~~~~ answer to question should be obvious: different strokes
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Not what the OP asked, but here is an interesting article on DOT5 brake fluid v standard brake fluids, it covers fluid compressibility and effects thereof.

• RL Chilton
    Interesting read.  Thanks for posting, Bob.  
  • kamzack
    kamzack Senior Contributor

Turner Brake

Noblesville, In

317-877-0453

Jim Turner, after 6PM

Makes Disc brake kits and hoses for Studebakers. Have same hose as Hudson.

Kim

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2015
    Response from Jim Turner:

"As
    long as I can get the fittings, I can pretty much make anything! IF (someone)
    needed a 3/8 x 24 female thread on one end and a metric on the other end, I
    could make that up too. According
    to my catalog, looks like the Hudson’s are all pretty much the same hose on the
    fronts, NO listing on the rear hose on a 53, but the 51 takes a front hose on
    the rear. (same number anyway) In
    answer to your question, yes, I can make up either the stock rubber hose, (mine
    are fresh, date code is 10/2014) I crimp them, then pressure test them to 3200
    psi for 15 seconds. The mandatory DOT test is 1500 psi for 15 seconds. IF mine
    were to fail, they would fail when tested. I
    have been making Studebaker disc brake conversions for over 30 years, I am
    “serious” on my parts, being how the two MOST important systems on a vehicle are
    steering and brakes! I feel like I literally have your life in my hands, and I
    make my products that way too! Also,
    IF a stock hose is not long enough, I can make them any length. On the rear hose
    on Studebakers, I lengthened them about 1 ½” so that when up on a lift, the hose
    is NOT under a bind!Let
    me know a length on the rear hose, for the 51, the overall length is 14”

Thanks

Jim"

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks for the reply post
  • Edwardjohnsr
    Edwardjohnsr Expert Adviser
    Jim Turner,
    I have had a problem with the fitting at the brake hose retainer (the clip that attaches to the frame) on my 53 Hornet.  You seem to be very familiar with these hoses so I hope you can help me. There is a groove in the fitting that the retainer clip slides into.  I have found that some of the hoses I bought have a very narrow groove and I can't get the clip to slide in.  Other hoses seem to have a wider groove and they work fine.  Are there different fittings that have different groove widths or is this just another problem with "made in China"?

Thanks for the help,
    Ed
  • Ed, go to this site for information. Jim Turner is not a member of this forum or the Hudson Club.

http://www.turnerbrake.com/

• Chris Smith
    Chris Smith Expert Adviser
    I use stainless braided brake hoses on my classic cars. I've read that they don't expand under pressure as much as a standard brake hose and give a firmer brake pedal along with longer life. I also use DOT5 fluid in them also because it is not hygroscopic and the hydraulic system will last for years even with extended storage. Ebay has some vendors that make nice hose sets for a fair price. I got a set for my brothers 54 Dodge Royal and they even offered different colored silicone coverings for them. I chose blue and they looked real nice installed. 
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor

RichardD

ABS Power Brakes has them already- came with my disc brake conversion kit- fit from original steel line to 80s gm style caliper.

BTW I'm doing many of the changes you pointed out, to make my Hudson safer and more enjoyable for the long, long journeys.  Some may not consider it a Hudson any more- don't care.

Hudsonly,

Dave Carpenter

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited October 2015

Checked mine and found that the flex brake hoses are new; see no reason to change now-- $ waste.

Would say that if you are replacing old hoses with new; consider the stainless steel specially made ones.

• RichardD
    RichardD Member
    edited April 2017

Dave C: I just installed a PBR VH40 booster on mine and it stops better than anything I own and the includes a 2008 Lexus !! But that is most likely too much verbiage. Anyway one of my best projects. Would not recommend at all without front disks. Mounted under floor that some might not like, but I drive a Healey (for 47 years) and doesn't bother me; {its mufflers are 3.75" from pavement}.
    So, put me down as one of the PB guys too ! Photos in "signature" site
    Did you have PB with your disks?

This discussion has been closed.