12 Volt Conversion - Wire Harness

Jake_N_His_Hornet
edited September 2015 in HUDSON
Hey HET,

I am looking at converting my 1951 Hudson Hornet to 12 Volt this winter. I was wondering if anyone had some good info on what to use for parts? Mainly I am looking for the following:

1. Alternator (And Bracket) 
  2. Wire Harness - I'm thinking a Painless P/N 10307 (18 Circuit extra length) Fuse block mounts in the firewall (wondering if anyone has experience doing this) Also what are the best connectors to use
  3. Headlights/Lightbulbs
  4. Gauges (Will they work on 12 Volt or not)
  5. Ignition - Points/Condenser and Coil
  6. A good resolution wiring Diagram to go off of as I begin to layout the new harness
  7. Anything else that a newbie would forget to plan for in this kind of project
Any/All input is greatly appreciated (especially pictures) Probably wont get going on this until the snow kicks me off the road, so no rush, but i would like to at least know what I'm getting into sooner than later!

Thanks
Jake n His Hornet

Comments

• Something that probably wouldn't get mentioned>> 

Use a Thomas and Betts crimper, not one of the cheap combination crimper,stripper,& cutter.

Also use shrink tubing(w/ heat gun) on EVERY connector and wire end. You don't want any blue, yellow, or red connectors showing plus it makes connection more secure. 

When you use black electricians tape: Buy the 'double thick' more expensive tape.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    edited September 2015
    Go to my web site

http://hudsonrestoration1948-54.com/

Scroll down to 12 volt conversion and click to go to the page

Updated incorrect web addresss
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor

Jake, drop me an email for my take on the subject.  You'll find it useful.  hetpwald@comporium.net  (drop the het for actual address).

(Farmer, I couldn't find the 12v conversion topic on your site.)

Park

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    Thanks Park - address fixed
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Jake
    2. If you are going to use a generic harness you may as well just buy some rolls of wire. A fuse block with 4 or 6 fuses is a good idea

3. Install a headlight relay

4. They will but I wouldn't. Install a 12V - 6V electronic voltage dropper with enough capacity to run your gauges, fan motor OD solenoid etc

6. The Hudson manual contains a good wiring diagram

7. RichardD speaks words of wisdom, plus I go overboard and solder after crimping where I can.
  • Hey All. Just remembered I am planning to have the radio converted to 12 volt am/fm. Any favorite companies out there that do a good job at this? I have contacted S&M Electro-Tech, Inc in Minnesota, they quoted me at around $400
  • DavidC
    DavidC Senior Contributor

Steve Engel did my 12v conversion, and yes it is costly.  Find him in the WTN. 

American Autowire offers a Nostalgia series which includes the old woven look in new wire.  I liked it.  I did not buy a good crimper, probably would not have been comfortable anyhow, so I soldiered the vast majority of the terminals.  I used original terminals in most cases, spliced onto new wire.  Therefor all orginal junction blocks are used, such as in trunk and near steering column.  Park will get you on track with the right parts.  As far as alternator bracket goes, I got mine from a discontinued line.  Most fabricate their own, but hopefully someone out there has one.  I do have a cast bracket that mounts to the passenger side of the block and could be used for alternator (originally intended for A/C), let me know if interested.  But most mount alt to driver side.  I'll help you more when you have specific problems.

• Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    DavidC see your PM
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    David,
    I'm working up my nerve to get started on installing the Autowire Highway 15 wiring harness in my 49 coupe.  I noticed that you said you used original terminals in most cases and spliced in the new wires.  What did you do about the ignition and light switches, did you use the old starter switch with the push button or the modern switch that comes with the kit?  Ditto for the light switch? 
    Jason
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Jake-

Have you already bought the wiring kit you plan on using?  
  • coverton
    coverton Expert Adviser
    Always solder n shrink = won't let go nmoistureproof ALSO Install two relays for your hi wattage new headlamps. Let the step down sw pull them in off a new fuse block/ relay
  • My headlight stuff --100w each
This discussion has been closed.